Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I planted a variety of stuff this year, mostly in late August-early September.

The lack of rain we had during the latter part of the summer really had a big effect, I think. (I'm in Sanilac County)

Buck Forage Oats: 4 acres planted 9/1/03. Really bringing them in,5-8 deer at a time, mostly evenings. Only really started to grow after the big rain mid Sept. Grade: C+

Giant British Turnips & DE Rape: 2 acres, Planted 7/15/03. Don't know which one is the turnip or the DE rape. Had enough turnip seed for 3 acres (10 lbs.) and enough rape seed for 5 acres (50 lbs). Planted 100% on one 2 acre strip. Man is that stuff thick. Have at least 6-12 deer (including 3 nice bucks)in there 24/7! Grade: A

Tecomate 50/50: 5 acres. Brand new field, planted 9/5/03. Thought I did everthing right on this one but as of 9/25 nothing had started to even sprout (and I mean nothing!). Panicked, and spread rye over entire field just in case 9/25. As of 10/1, the rye has taken a good hold and just small patches of the "50/50" have begun to sprout in places. Grade: incomplete

Tecomate LabLab Plus: 1/2 acre. Brand new field, Planted 7/15. Total bust; absolutely no growth.. Even limed and fertilized too. Zilch, Nada, nothin. Put a bag of carrots over there instead.
Grade: F-

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
1. Ladino/Alsike/Medium Red clovers. Best performance I've ever had with clover plots, in terms of deer attraction. 2x fertilizations annually, plus the abundant rainfall this season, have resulted in thicker-than-thick plots, and the deer are hittin' 'em constantly. Last mowing was in late August, and I wish I would have waited a bit later for the last cut. I give it a grade of B++, and I'm a hard grader.

2. Buck Forage Oats. Planted in August, grew like mad, deer are frequently seen in the plot, as it is along a travel corridor in an old field, but voracious feeding has not been observed. Deer have been seen moving through the plot without taking a bite. Incomplete.

3. Mossy Oak Biologic Maximum. Man, has this stuff grown. Planted August 9 on two sites, it's up to my crotch. In fact, deer have been observed laying in it. I have not seen a deer eating it, nor evidence in the form of bitten-off leaves. I do have one reported sighting of them eating it on 10/04 AM, from a hunter posted in one of our "lookout" tree stands. Incomplete.

4. Purple Top Turnips. Turnips the size of your fist, topped by lush greens. No evidence that deer have touched them yet. Incomplete.

5. Winter Wheat - The old standby is starting to draw them in, now that the soys have faded. Best-looking plot of wheat I've ever seen, including those grown by real farmers. Thick and delicious. So far, it seems to be a bigger draw than the oats, but I'm hoping that will change. A-

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
That's great news eye one and farm legend. Love to hear the report. If things work out well I'll be at camp on Friday. I have not been there since Labor Day. I'm looking forward to seeing how things are growing and being utilized. I planted around 4 acres in mid August of various items.

Without even being at camp I'm sure it's doing great. We have had alot of rain and perfrect weather for fall growth, hopeully not too much rain. I'll post on it when I get back.

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
1.imperial clover plot has come back to life with the recent rains and fert. so far every time out i have had deer in this plot but they are mowing it down fast.

2. my corn has allready been destroyed. next year i will be planting more.

3.winter wheat has been a good draw as usual but not nearly as good as the clover. the deer will be in it shortly when the clover is gone.

4.corn,pea,tritcale,turnip,sorghum plot is just about gone. there are still lots of turnips left and i have yet to see any signs of the deer eating them.

5.alfalfa plot is looking good with some fawns using it. this plot is out in the open and the older deer use it after dark.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My clover plots are being hammered every day. Soybeans are getting some attention. I haven't checked on the Buck Forage Oats. They usually shine in November. Apples are being gobbled up as they hit the ground.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I haven't checked on the Buck Forage Oats. They usually shine in November."

?? Is that the typical process with BFO, specifically: the deer hit it more as the weather get colder, etc?

This is my first experience with BFO. And, while the field is pretty filled in, and the plants are about 8' tall, it is getting only moderate use, unlike the Biologic "Full Draw" that I planted in that field over the last 2 years. The deer were "everywhere" in that stuff starting with day 1.

Based on everybody's opinion here, I thought that BFO would do even better.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Eye1, my experience has been good in November with the BFO. They have attracted lots of deer for me during gun season.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
We have two 3/4 acre plots about 100 yards apart that we planted as a late season draw. The only problem is that the deer are already eating bare spots in them. Next year more BFO and more corn.

Can I top dress my alfalfa plots with BFO next fall or will the oats not come up because of the lack of sunlight penetrating the Alfalfa?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts