Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small opening in the middle of my woods that I hunt. It is mostly shade. I keep it mowed through out the summer & usally bait it.

I sprayed roundup today. Will winter wheat or rye take in a shadey area? Any other suggestions about what to plant? Also how long do I have to wait before I can plant after the roundup?

I do have a tractor with a disk that I can get into the area. I would like to get something growing quick for this hunting season & then put clover in the spring.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I have a small opening in the middle of my woods that I hunt. It is mostly shade. I keep it mowed through out the summer & usally bait it.

I sprayed roundup today. Will winter wheat or rye take in a shadey area? Any other suggestions about what to plant? Also how long do I have to wait before I can plant after the roundup?

I do have a tractor with a disk that I can get into the area. I would like to get something growing quick for this hunting season & then put clover in the spring.

Thanks for your help.
Wheat and rye would be good choices if you are planning on having food for this year.

You should wait a minimum of a week before discing it under. Then liberally spread wheat grain or rye grain. Both of these will do fine in the shade.

Many types of clovers will do well in the shade, but you must have your PH just right, with at least 6.5 if you want the clover to do well, but this would give you a perennial plot. Clover does well, frost seeded in early spring, or you could plant it this fall right along with your wheat and rye.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply KOZ BOW,

Does the winter wheat & rye need any fertilizer before I plant it? Can I expect it to last thru the December muzzleloading season?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Thanks for your reply KOZ BOW,

Does the winter wheat & rye need any fertilizer before I plant it? Can I expect it to last thru the December muzzleloading season?
Yes it will last all winter and into spring as long as the deer don't eat it all.

Plant it thick. I put down 100#s per 1/4 acre of wheat at a minimum. $25 worth of see from a local mill.

You can put down 19-19-19 but I have done both with and without fertilizer this year, and I cannot tell the difference in the plots. Maybe the deer can though, so I would suggest you fertilize at least in some quantity, 50#s a 1/4 acre at a minimum to get strong results.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Plant it thick. I put down 100#s per 1/4 acre of wheat at a minimum. $25 worth of see from a local mill.

Do you mean 10#s per 1/4 acre??? I had Blue Ribbon in Lowell make me a mix of 8#'s WW, 2#'s rape, and 1#chickory for a 1/4 acre plot and it only cost me $20 You can get a 10# bag of Biologic's Green Patch plus for $9.97 at Wal Mart FWIW. The one in Hastings still had 2 bags as of Mon. if that's in your area...

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
^^^^^^^

I bought a 20lb bag of Green Patch Plus this year. The bag says it is good for 1/2 acre but I think that is a bit of a stretch.

We have two plots on our property that total just over a 1/4 acre in size. We used a quarter of the bag on the small plot and the rest of the bag on the big plot. The small plot was way underseeded and the big plot was probably close to right but still a bit under seeded in my opinion. I actually ended up hand broadcasting some clover seed into the small plot because it was so sparce. We are getting good growth out of it but it just isn't as full as we want it to be.

I think if you were to use that bag on a 1/2 acre plot you would have a pretty sparce plot.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i just did a WW plot 2 weeks ago @ 50lbs. for about a 1/6th acre....it came up a little thinner than i would have liked. i agree with KOZ, 100lbs. per 1/4 acre would be minimum.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
WOW, I'd be lucky to spread 100# of WW per acre. Even if you increased it for deer grazing and the turkeys IMO 125-150# would be plenty. I know that WW is relatively cheap but the money you save by getting your wheat seeding rate back toward the norm would buy your fertilizer needs for that 1/4 acre. If your germination rate isn't high enough you may want to look for others reasons. i.e. poor germ seed, low fertility, ph, poor tillage, or cloddy soil. My blended seed mix runs closer to 50# of WW per acre, with Rape, Peas, Beans or clover.

Tim

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have no doubt that Koz has been successful with his plots (floods notwithstanding). Even w/shady areas and wheat that is broadcast, 400# per acre seeding rate appears excessive. High planting rates don't necessarily equal increased density. Wheat can compensate for lower seeding rates with more tillering which I feel is better in a grazing situation. The guys selling the wheat however, do appreciate the business from us food plotters. :lol:

·
Administrator
36,074 Posts
Yeap, rye will grow just about anywhere short of on top a rock. Sometimes I think the shady areas are good for it as those areas tend not to get burnt up in the summer if there is litttle rain.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Tim - you are correct - it is a heavy dose of wheat for 1/4 acre. Two reasons for this:

1 - Building soil

2 - Heavy browsing in this size of a plot

If you are planting a larger area, I totally agree - you could easily get away with 100#s per acre assuming no flooding!:lol:

I only recommend it because I have seen so many plots of small size, be planted way too thin to hold up to grazing of any magnitude. Anything smaller than 1/2 acre with good deer density would be wiped out in no time with a lower planting rate.

Also, due to all the soil issue you suggested, most do not take the time you do, to prep the soil.

This plot is about an 1/8th of an acre and I used 50#s of winter wheat and I am embarassed to tell you how many #s of dwarf essex rape!:tdo12: It was a season end blow out price and I wasn't sure if it would keep for next year. Lets just say, around 10#s.:hide: I am going for that "golf course" look, and also making sure it is thick enough to get heavy browsing in the coming months and be around to feed in the spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts