Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested what deer plot seeds/plants attract turkeys along with deer?
Adding 2 new plots this spring and would like to attract turkeys and partridge but main purpose is deer plot..

·
Registered
346 Posts

My turkey population has increased alot since I started planting this mixture about 5 years ago. It's called "Michigan Blend" Japanese millet,buckwheat, sunflowers,milo, corn and beans. You can add anything to it you want. I add whatever seed I have left over from last year.

·
Registered
331 Posts

My turkey population has increased alot since I started planting this mixture about 5 years ago. It's called "Michigan Blend" Japanese millet,buckwheat, sunflowers,milo, corn and beans. You can add anything to it you want. I add whatever seed I have left over from last year.
Where do you get this seed blend from? Or do you mix it yourself?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Pheasants forever is where I get mine. I added beans, corn and whatever spring planted seeds I have left over to it. Works well for dividing plots.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My PF chapter refers to it as "Michigan Mix". Typically it's corn, sorghum, sunflowers, buckwheat, and sometimes millet.

I'd suggest doing plot rotations. Weed control through the spring, plant MI Mix, let is stand through into the next year and frost seed clover into it come March. Find a new location for a new planting and rotate what you let stand fallow and what you plant on a 2-3 year rotation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have had great results from my clover plot. They not only eat the clover, but bug as well in there all the time.
AND... It's green during spring turkey season, which is partially why I suggested the perennials. Good primary use for deer with the added benefit of turkey use. Throw some winter wheat and or winter rye into your fall perrennial plantings and it will add later fall use by deer as well as still green up in the spring... even better. Wait till spring turkey season is over and then kill the wheat and rye with Clethodium to keep it under control before it seeds out. You can till under your plot with free green manure for another fall planting or just let the perennial go. Easy and effective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts