Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first time hunter just got into hunting and am exploring improving the land, for the deer, I hunt on it. As I look for more habitat solutions I have come across food plots. Most mixes I have found require considerable exposure to sunlight to grow. I am wondering if a few of you more experienced bucks and does out there had any recommendations for a shade tolerant mix as I don't want to clear cut the three acres I hunt in.

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
There would be no need to clearcut an entire three acres to get a few kill plots planted. They can be as small as 10' by 10', which means that taking out one low value tree can provide plenty of light. I know that you want to talk about shade tolerant food plants, but it would help if we knew more about the local situation. Is there a large food source nearby that the deer go to in the evening? Does your 3 acres have any bedding areas on it or near it? Putting a kill plot between those two is a recipe for success.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Plants need sunlight to grow. Even if you plant something that *will grow* in low-light conditions, the biomass resulting will be poor and won't withstand heavy pressure from deer if they do key in on it.

You need not open up 3 acres. You only need sunlight to actually hit the ground during the growing season. A few strategic trees on the south side could be a huge improvement. Another option is to cut a longer strip, but have it run N/S rather than E/W to increase exposure.

·
Registered
35,302 Posts
How many hours of direct sunlight will your plot get in the summer months?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Southside has poor exposure rates due to the south of the property being I-96 on a tall steep hill 30 ft in height followed by natural deer beding area. The property I hunt is a triangular basin with tall hills on south and sloping hill on the westside the east is a small steep hill of about 6 feet in height. Area filled with hard woods that are tall and no good for dear food. There are lots of deer bering spots in the area but no good food plots for them to choose from. I get about 8 to 10 hours a day of direct sunlight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts