Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I watched this Jeff Sturgis video the other day thinking it was going to be all about saving your burned up plot with cereal rye. It was for the most part. But Jeff threw another bone out there and said to plant tillage radish first. Then cereal rye later. I've been following his plan pretty much to the letter with this no till plot, so why stop now? Tillage radish seed at a local mill was pretty cheap so with impending rain, lol, I spread some urea and radish seed yesterday. I focused the radish seed in the thinnest spots. Got a lite 3 min sprinkle as I was finishing. Then nothing. Then finally, we got over an inch last night. I will follow up with cereal rye in a week to ten days depending on rain. We shall see.
So here are a couple of pics as of yesterday. Very small and sparse, though surprisingly the small plants look nice and green and healthy, just waiting for a drink. The first pic looks a little thicker due to some clover reemerging. As a side note, can't say enough about the Northwoods plot screen. This stuff is over twelve feet tall in some spots even with very little rain this summer.

Plant Sky Tree Green Cloud

Plant Green Tree Sky Land lot

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
So I watched this Jeff Sturgis video the other day thinking it was going to be all about saving your burned up plot with cereal rye. It was for the most part. But Jeff threw another bone out there and said to plant tillage radish first. Then cereal rye later. I've been following his plan pretty much to the letter with this no till plot, so why stop now? Tillage radish seed at a local mill was pretty cheap so with impending rain, lol, I spread some urea and radish seed yesterday. I focused the radish seed in the thinnest spots. Got a lite 3 min sprinkle as I was finishing. Then nothing. Then finally, we got over an inch last night. I will follow up with cereal rye in a week to ten days depending on rain. We shall see.
So here are a couple of pics as of yesterday. Very small and sparse, though surprisingly the small plants look nice and green and healthy, just waiting for a drink. The first pic looks a little thicker due to some clover reemerging. As a side note, can't say enough about the Northwoods plot screen. This stuff is over twelve feet tall in some spots even with very little rain this summer.

View attachment 570111
View attachment 570113
I saw that video pop up a while back also but thought the same as you - just overseed with rye to save something. Will have to check it out, although I typically plant radish with most other plots already.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that video pop up a while back also but thought the same as you - just overseed with rye to save something. Will have to check it out, although I typically plant radish with most other plots already.
I had some radish in my original mix as well. Jeff states that it is a good late planting to fill in because it grows quicker the other varieties of brassica.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Fast grower? Who sells it? Not looking for this year but maybe in the future.
Planted some this year appear to be growing faster than turnips & radishes. To be honest I bought the seeds a few years ago, forget where I ordered them. I have them in a place I can watch them during hunting season, ill let ya know how they do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts