Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Anyone Blow A Foiles for a honker call? im going to be looking at some at cabelas just wondering if anyone uses one.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I got a few of Foiles goose calls. Great calls. Look at the Strait Meat Honker it's easy to blow and can be tuned to fit your calling style. If your down at Cabelas this weekend Big Sean Hammock will be there from Foiles and he will get you set-up.

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Ive been blowing foiles for eight years now. I have three foiles goose calls

Straight Meat Honker: Best all around call, deep and goosey and somewhat fast. Will do everything you would ever need to do.

Showtime: Fast Fast Fast, Loud Loud Loud Takes a quite a bit of air

Market Hunter: I didnt like this call but now I have tuned it as a cackler call

The best advice I can give ya is to blow the living crap outta the thing. You will never understand the difference warn in guts will make until you have them. Also learn to tune a call and shave reeds. Each person has a unique way in which they want the call to be, and that can only be achieved by learning to tune a call.

As for short reeds in general. I think we have reached a point whereas they are all kinda copycats of each other. If you can blow a foiles, you can take a zink, grounds, etc etc Tune it to your liking and learn the back pressure and be happy.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
SMH is probalby the easiest "high end" call out there to use... at least mine is. There are plenty of great calls to choose from, i would put foiles toward the top.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I own the SMH and the Showtime and both calls are awesome!!! the Showtime is fast and loud but still sounds great while the SMH is somewhat fast and is a little deeper sounding but it sounds great as well!! The SMH is my go to call every season and has been for about 3 seasons now...
I also own a Stait Suzy and a Timber Rattler duck call and both are great calls as well...

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've got the SMH and love it.

Foiles was going to have a rep at the Gander Mountain in K-zoo today.

I would recomend this call to anyone.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
i bought a showtime for my first short reed and it took some time getting used to. recently i picked up a quacker attacker short reed at the bay city show and i really like it. by blowing the QA call and looking at how the reed was setup it helped me to tune my showtime in so they blow pretty close to the same now, with alittle tweaking i could get the showtime lower or higher pitched if i like.

for adjustability the showtime is awesome, but for a beginner the QA call works very nice, he has the reeds setup so it's a cinch to get them where they are supposed to be.

i haven't tried the SMH yet but really the showtime sounds and performs excellent, it only takes alot of air if you have it tuned that way.

as mentioned most of your high end calls are similiar. QA claims you won't have soundboard where on his like some other calls have, i noticed on my showtime the reed wasn't quite centered and it marked the board. all have top notch service as well.

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
My arsenal which travels with me is as follows:
Goose Noose by Lynch Mob-this is tuned VERY LOUD and I generally use this to hail long birds only. This call originally was my main call and could still be but I've since found a call with a little better lower end, for me anyway. I now keep the Goose Noose tuned for the long hail.
Guide Series Original by Bill Saunders-This is my "go to" call anymore. The range is great and it is one of the "goosiest" calls I've ever heard. The low end is sweet and it retains the ability to be fast when I need to get on the birds to make them swing after a pass. The call is also about as forgiving a call as I've blown. (This is probably a good thing:D).
Giant Killer by G-N-K-Won this call at our Waterfowl U.S.A. banquet in February. The call is a limited edition numbered call, very cool. It is tuned a little higher pitched than the Guide Series so I like to have that option if birds are hesitant with initial offerings. I still need to get it worked into better shape but I will no doubt keep it up.
In trying calls at the shows and playing around in stores, I would say the easiest call that I've blown and one that I would recommend in addition to the above would be a Power Clucker by Zink Calls. About 6 years ago I was in Jays in Clare and started blowing a PC and before I knew it I was putting on a clinic for about 10 guys with a call I'd NEVER BLOWN BEFORE! Honestly, I kind of regret not buying that call.
As previously stated though, they are all for the most part the same instrument. Work in your guts and learn to tune so you can get the call set up for your pressure and style.
I know these are not Foiles calls but I thought you may accept some other input.
Sorry so long winded but I LOVE to call birds. It is THE reason I hunt waterfowl. Your addiction is just getting started so hold on tight!!:coolgleam

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
for adjustability the showtime is awesome, but for a beginner the QA call works very nice, he has the reeds setup so it's a cinch to get them where they are supposed to be.

i haven't tried the SMH yet but really the showtime sounds and performs excellent, it only takes alot of air if you have it tuned that way.

After you have blown a well tuned SMH the Showtime takes more air. The Insert is bored out more for comp volume, hence more air is required. I do agree the Showtime doesnt take ALOT of air but with a comparitive tuned SMH it takes more.

For anyone starting out, I would recommend the SMH. If you are willing to spend the money on a acrylic call do it. I think there is much more difference between polycard and acrylic honkers than the same comparision in duck calls.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys well today I went to Dundee and I ended up with a SMH and A Meatgrinder poly, SMH takes almost no air at all very impresed and i can get very low with it and im still pratcing with it and the Meatgrinder to me does wonders for a polycarb!!!!! thanks I can now say im a Foiles guy!

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
:lol: What colors yall got? I have a purple ice mouthpiece and a clear insert :D
Good for you, you will be happy and once the guts are worn you will do backflips.

As for Colors"

SMH: Orange Crush
Market Hunter: Calhoun Redneck
MeatGrinder: Black and clear
Showtime: Smoke
Timber Rattler: Purple Haze

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I guess I'm kind of a Foiles guy myself....:D

SMH-Blue Mouthpiece/Clear insert
SMH-Smoke Mouthpiece/Max-4 Insert
Showtime-Smoke mouthpiece/Smoke Insert (#0253)
Strait Suzy-Max-4 Mouthpiece/Max-4 Insert
Timber Rattler-Smoke Mouthpiece/Black Insert (#1564)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts