Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am flying Delta Airlines (Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale) and would like to take my pistol with me. I just want to be sure I understand the rules/laws correctly.

Here is the info from the Delta website:
Delta said:
PISTOLS:
You can bring pistols and accessories as checked baggage as long as they are included in one pistol case and contain:
* Pistol telescopes
* Noise suppressers
* A small pistol tool case
* No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition

PACKAGING AND PRESENTING/DECLARING FIREARMS:
* Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
* Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if a security checkpoint is prior to the Delta counter.
* All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
* Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign and date a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration. This form must be signed and dated in the presence of the Agent, and a new form must be completed for each trip.
* Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.

Note: If the firearm is still accessible without unlocking the case, the case will NOT be deemed "locked". If your firearm is retrievable you may be subject to TSA fines and/or refused transport.

* Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
* Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.

If you need to travel with a weapon as checked baggage, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State, or Local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms.
So, if I understand this correctly, I can:
Put my pistol in it's manufacturer hard case, lock it, and place the case in my checked luggage. I can also bring up to 11 pounds of ammo. Correct?

Does the lock on the hard case need to be a TSA approved lock?

If the ammo is in it's original packaging/box, I can just put it in my luggage... it doesn't need to be in the pistol hard case, correct?

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I also think, given the nature of the questions and the sensitivity of the issue in general, you should take the 15-20 minutes on hold with Delta and or the DHS/TSA to ask your questions. They have numbers you can call and speak with someone, albeit, after holding for a short time.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Its no big deal, you will be a little apprehensive at first though. First time is always the hardest

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I flew Delta to DFW last October; checked my scoped .44 in a large Pelican case. I had professional treatment and no problems BUT . . . after my research here were the issues I found [policy and interpretaion varies by airline and airport and individual TSA agent so be prepared . . . .]

1] Have both TSA locks and standard padlocks with you, put on whatever ones they tell you. [Buddy checked his shotgun in a hard case that for whatever reason had 3 lock hasps - they made him buy another lock because 'every hasp has to be locked.' Good luck finding that regulation in writing.]

2] Some airlines [not Delta I think] require the ammo to be in 'original factory container.' So - I just put my ammo in a spare factory box just to be safe. [Like they would know reloads from factory anyway.] But the styrofoam insert does make for good transport packaging so what do I care.

3] I put the ammo box right in the same box as the pistol - be prepared to secure and check in in a separate bag if required.

4] Leave lots of extra check in time just in case.

Oh - and BTW nobody ever actually opened the cylinder to see if it was unloaded. Go TSA !!

·
Premium Member
31,288 Posts
Its no big deal, you will be a little apprehensive at first though. First time is always the hardest
That's what she said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I fly with guns several (15- 20) times a year.

Do NOT put a TSA lock on your gun case. By law, only YOU can have access to the gun.

If TSA needs to see the gun for any reason, you must be presant when they open the case.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
No trolling here...my question as one who has never flown with a firearm, is can it be locked in the methods mentioned above, in a case without any ammo and in carry on bagage? The reason I ask is that many people go out of town on business for a few days and simply use a carry on bag rather than pay bagage fees.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
No trolling here...my question as one who has never flown with a firearm, is can it be locked in the methods mentioned above, in a case without any ammo and in carry on bagage? The reason I ask is that many people go out of town on business for a few days and simply use a carry on bag rather than pay bagage fees.

No weapons in carry on.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I had to go down to Dallas on business a few months ago. We were meeting a sales rep who lived in Oklahoma and visiting his client. We thought it was weird that the guy from OK wanted to pick us up at the airport and preferred driving, so we asked him. He then went on to explain his truck was a rolling arsenal. He pulled a gun out of his pocket, another out of the door pocket, a third out of the center console, then asked us to reach under the back seat where we pulled out a S&W 45/410.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I started a new job with a company about a year ago that requires some travel and recently got my CPL. It's nice to have a general idea of the requirements to see if this is something I even would want to do. I'll make sure I get a copy of the TSA regs. in advance if I choose to travel with my firearm.Thanks again for the help.

MJ

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Careful with that as well. My employer expressly prohibits firearms in the workplace and "on the job". I travel a lot as well and it was made clear to us that we can not have firearms on us while conducting business or we could face termination. Check your employee handbook to see what your company policies are or ask HR if they are easy to approach. I had one guy tell me just to not tell them, they would never know unless I had to use it...I choose not to carry on company business. I think it might be more hassle too at the airport and like you said, sometimes I do luggage carry on only to avoid lines and waiting for baggage.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts