Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be flyfishing from October 9th-14th on a lot of the surrounding areas rivers (particularly the platte, betsie, and manistee)

I'm looking for advice what to plan for and how to fish when I get up there...

As far as fly patterns go...

Ive tied up a ton of:

-eggs (yellow, orange, pink, red, peach)
-leechs (black,purple)
-woolly boogers (black, purple, olive, brown, green)
-nymphs (black stonefly, green caddis, hex nymph)

I typically swing/twitch my streamer patterns and dead drift the nymphs and eggs under an indicator... Will this work for me?

Any suggestions for patterns, techniques, or what type of holding water to look for at that time?

·
Banned
640 Posts
If you do hire a guide see if you can get Jon Ray he's good, and not a meat fishing guy, plus he throw's spey's, flies' what ever you need. Plus if your cast is lacking he'll tune it up for you. Really good guide I highly recomend him, he's out of hawkin's. Also if you fish the "man" bring plenty of a**hole repelnt.

·
Banned
640 Posts
I will be flyfishing from October 9th-14th on a lot of the surrounding areas rivers (particularly the platte, betsie, and manistee)

I'm looking for advice what to plan for and how to fish when I get up there...

As far as fly patterns go...

Ive tied up a ton of:

-eggs (yellow, orange, pink, red, peach)
-leechs (black,purple)
-woolly boogers (black, purple, olive, brown, green)
-nymphs (black stonefly, green caddis, hex nymph)

I typically swing/twitch my streamer patterns and dead drift the nymphs and eggs under an indicator... Will this work for me?

Any suggestions for patterns, techniques, or what type of holding water to look for at that time?
If your going for stellies look for slack water behind red's. if for salmon anything, anywhere, any time. I would go with egg flies #1 ( river will be full), leaches,Big stones, a nice fat muddler is good to, streamers work well mid-late oct. when there not so many salom. but right now if your not in a boat-well, lets say have fun. Meaning crowded. No specific holes or runs. everything will be nice. try to do it during some wet weather if you can. or just after.

·
Banned
640 Posts
no you wont need to hike becuse all the trails will be worn pretty well by that time:lol: It says you live in south carolina? well if you do, the drive is worth it but during that time its pretty busy on the rivers. I highly suggest a boat if not some spots i recomend on the manistee

tippy dam-you cant miss it(might as well be called the 2nd UofM big house)

dont get me wrong you'll be able to catch fish any where, the crowds wont be that bad, but I wont say you'll be secluded at any spot. Plan on lossing a few just to the fact not every one will move.

2nd ask what the local ettiquite is when you get there just so as not to offend. They got unsaid rules for casting position, how far out, etc etc.

3rd stick with the egg flies

good luck

·
Registered
762 Posts
Those flies are good for steelies, not so much for salmon. Try big gaudy streamers for salmon, such as articulated marabous, decievers, and zonkers in white, firetiger, and purple/black.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ya I seen your outta state, Come out to the piers and fish clean bright fish. Coho steel brn :D
It's the wrong month to fish the Big river if you don't have a boat.

I can get you into fish, But can you get up that early? Cause you need to leave early!! if your fishing from shore.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Those flies are good for steelies, not so much for salmon. Try big gaudy streamers for salmon, such as articulated marabous, decievers, and zonkers in white, firetiger, and purple/black.
Any fly that is cheap is good for slime backs, I save the good stuff for steel. Just my idea. BTS flies (Better Than Spawn) are good and an easy tie, Mudlers are sick on fresh salmon plus you can hide a larger hook in that pattern. Almost my favorite for salmon and steelies. But we all have our favorites, probably becuse I have just started to tie muddlers on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Remember guys that in river reports it is MS' policy not to give out specific holes, stretches unless they are like Tippy Dam and a "no-brainer". More specific info may be shared via PMs.

TT, you might want to look into that pier/beach fishing offer that was made. In all liklihood it will be with spawn rather than flies, nymphs, streamers, etc.

I'll also second the suggestion to get in touch with and hire a reputable river guide.

If you will be able to get down to the Pere Marquette R. near Baldwin (about 40 min. drive south of Tippy Dam on the Big Manistee) I'd urge you to contact Steve at Baldwin Bait & Tackle. They are online and can be found by doing a search using Baldwin Bait & Tackle Michigan.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Whit 1,

my bad I assumed those spot's were common knowledge, not like I was letting the cat out of the bag on those. But I understand, dont agree but I understand none the less.:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts