Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Michigan Sportsman Forums, first post!!
I am from Frankenmuth MI. and looking for a class to learn the art of fly tying. I've been fly fishing for the last 3-4 years for rainbow trout. I would like to see if I could catch trout on a fly that I tied. If anyone know's of a place that a person could attend this winter the info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :help:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Check with any fly shops in your area. Many of them offer beginning tying classes in the winter. Also check out the 9th Invitational Fly Tying Expo in December in Mason, MI. See details in Upcoming Events section of main forum page or PM me for information. Lots of good tyers will be demonstrating and there is a beginning tying table there also where you can learn some basic techniques.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Off hand I do not know what classes are in your area. I do know there use to a be a good Trout Unlimited group in the Saginaw area, William B. Mershon chapter and in Midland is the Leon P. Martuch chapter. Interesting the Mershon chapter has meetings in your town at a Camp Kiwanis.

If you do not mind traveling to Canton, Michigan..about hour and half from you, Derek LeRoy has classes in his shop during the winter. These will be from a beginner level to very advanced. http://www.leroyflytying.com

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks FISHALOT for your info!!
BEAGLERNR, Thanks also for the Trout Unlimited (Saginaw) meeting at CAMP KIWANIS, That's only a few miles from home. Will check it out this week end for more info.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Check at Delta College or community education. I remember when I lived down there I would see a class offered from time to time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
New to Michigan Sportsman Forums, first post!!
I am from Frankenmuth MI. and looking for a class to learn the art of fly tying. I've been fly fishing for the last 3-4 years for rainbow trout. I would like to see if I could catch trout on a fly that I tied. If anyone know's of a place that a person could attend this winter the info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :help:
A little less than an hour away is Little Forks Outfitters in Midland, and they have classes.

Also, local libraries may have books and videos available for free for some self-instruction. There are also a ton of videos online as well.

But, if you really want a tip. Drive a 1/2 hour south, and start getting your hair cut in Swartz Creek. See here for more info.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Another really good source is Youtube.com

There are some really good videos on tying techniques as well as tying specific patterns.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Taking a class is a fine idea, and I encourage you to do so. However there is a wealth of outstanding fly tying how to material available on the internet as well.

Remember basic fly tying is neither rocket science or brain surgery. Once you learn a couple of basic knots, how to attach the thread at the beginning, and tie it off at the end, you are ready to go. Maybe the toughest part is developing an eye regarding the proportions of the fly, but that comes with time and practice.

So the bottom line, I strongly encourage you to follow your interest. If you don't want to wait until you find a class, get started now reading and watching online videos.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all, i have a hard time tying my shoes:dizzy: at least I can't hurt some one tying flies. If i get this hobby going I will send a pic. to all so you can see what kind of monster you help create:yikes:

I just hope I don't horrify the fish into becoming vegetarians LOL

Thanks again.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just wanted to second the Mason show Fishalot recommended. This is an amazing even where you can sit down with a huge number of people tying about anything you have seen or heard of and watch, sometimes tie with them. Last year there were something like 80 demonstrations there including some big names. It is very informal and a safe place to get tons of information. If you make it stop by the fella with a mustache and who is tying small flies (18 to 26's) and introduce yourself.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Beaglernr

I think I will take a trip to this Mason show in Dec. Do all the booth's have numbers or go by name for a person to find specific products? if you have a booth number or name let me know, them shows can sometimes be confusing.

I do shows for the company I work for, which give me a chance to fish the Eastern states, Mass. north of Springfield along the Mohawk trail on the Deerfield river, look forward to this trip every year. Never got a brown trout yet. Fished Mio area down stream, Grayling area. Maybe next year.

I would think a person should be able to pick up every thing one needs to tie flies at this show!! See ya their.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Surf&Turf-The demonstration tyers at the Fly Expo each have there own 6 foot table to tie at and the tables are in rows inside. Each tyer has a name badge. The vendor area at the end of the arena will have some vendors selling flies, materials etc. It is primarily an educational type event where you can watch and learn to tie just about any kind of fly you might want. Let me know if you have any more questions. I am the Chairman of this event for the Great Lakes Council.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Email one of the members/officers from their site and see if Jac Ford still holds fishing and tying classes at Swan Valley High School, usually starts in late January and runs 5 weeks. Tues-fishing class, Wed-tying

·
Registered
37 Posts
Find a local fly shop to go to...

There is also a super book for beginners called "Benchside Introduction to fly tying". It retails for $45 which is a steal compared to its big brother "Benchside Reference to Fly Tying" that sells for $100.

Neat thing about the Intro book is the second half of the book is divided into a spiral top and bottom section that lays out how to tie over 50 flies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts