Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions for a decent fly rod and reel setup for salmon and steelhead. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Minimum 8wt 9ft fly rod. If you plan on fishing for bass with it then spend a little money on the rod. I've heard echo carbon xl are decent rods. I have a Redington Crosswater 8wt and it does fine. I would invest in a reel with a great drag. I run Lamson Liquids7+. I had a cheap Bass Pro Hobs Creek 8wt combo and the reel broke me off more times than not due to start up inertia. The rod is literally a broomstick. Look up Northern Angler in Traverse City. I believe they have a Salmon Combo on their website that you can order and it's ready to fish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I typically use a10wt TFO rod with a Tibor reel. This is my saltwater gear for small tarpon and does really well. If the fish are running overly big or I'm in an area with a ton of snags I'll sometimes go up to a 12wt but that's extreme.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Min 8-9 weight, and Lamson makes killer reels. I also have the behemoth and that's nice too. There's so many different combo selections out there. Just gonna be what feels right to u and fits in your budget. Gl and tight lines

·
Registered
260 Posts
11' 7wt for Steel....nice long switch rod to you can cast a mile, 9wt for Kings with decent drag. Nomad Anglers in GR or EL

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
9' 8wt or 10'6"-11' 7wt. Could go a bit lighter for a perfect fit for steelhead, and a bit heavier for a perfect fit for kings, but I think these are a good in between choice for one rod to do both reasonably.

Need to be careful with how light of tippet you use on rods like faster action 8wts. Some steelhead fishing begs for lighter stuff, and if you have too stiff of a tip it can break easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts