Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an Orvis Bamboo Battenkill 7ft, 2 pc Fly Rod that was built back in 1970, see 1st pic. I was thinking about having this rod converted so that I can have the option to add an extension, similar to what's in the 2nd pic. I was thinking of tapping the exist butt to accept a threaded plug that could be removed to accept a threaded extension. Does anyone knows of anyone in the Detroit area that may be able to do this kind of work. I'm just looking to get some idea of costs, might be better to just leave it as is..

Writing implement Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Line Art
Wood Wire Electrical wiring Hardwood Wood stain

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leave it as is. There's little need for a fighting butt on a 5 weight in my opinion.

The rod has more value in its original condition.
I was thinking the same thing until I saw this other guy's rod but then I think his was a 8wt which would have been a more suited for having an extension. With a 5wt, there wouldn't really be much need for a fighting butt and once it gets modified to having a fighting butt then it loses value also..

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
“Back in my day, fightin’ butts started on 7 weights”, and we liked it….

Seriously, too nice of rod to mess with like that. And I customize a lot of tackle.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I recently bought an Orvis Bamboo Battenkill 7ft, 2 pc Fly Rod that was built back in 1970, see 1st pic. I was thinking about having this rod converted so that I can have the option to add an extension, similar to what's in the 2nd pic. I was thinking of tapping the exist butt to accept a threaded plug that could be removed to accept a threaded extension. Does anyone knows of anyone in the Detroit area that may be able to do this kind of work. I'm just looking to get some idea of costs, might be better to just leave it as is..

View attachment 815840 View attachment 815841
I would leave it also. I like getting out the bamboo every now and again
Snow Wood Bedrock Sunlight Slope
Plant Wood Twig Grass Insect

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts