Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a nice fly rod for steelies length and weight?? thinking about giving it a shot any info appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
6wt is probably a little light unless it has some backbone to it. 7wt is about the smallest I would go.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Stick: If you really want a fly rod to start with, try Frank's. They have some 9' 8 wt. TFO's for about $100. You should be able to hold a big king on it too. They had some Griggs for $50. They didn't look bad either. I've picked up quite a few rods in the past two months and I can honestly say that I didn't see any difference in a $100 rod and a rod that was up around $800. Think of it this way...you're gonna break it eventually anyways.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Cabelas had some St Croix rods on clearance not too long ago. 6wt will do on smaller waters when the flow is down. One of my favorite small water rods for steelhead is a 9.5' 6wt. But overall, my experience is that a 7wt is just right. 8wt may be a bit overkill for the average steelhead and does little to protect lighter tippets. Pretty much best suited for high water on larger rivers. Don't settle for a 9' rod though as the extra length will come in handy, especially if you learn how to fish with a strike indicator.

·
Registered
828 Posts
sticknstring said:
cabelas has st croix premier 9' 8wt just rod for 80 dollar i think thats a good deal but i could be wrong
I'm no expert that's for sure, but I am a broke college kid. That been said, I think if you don't have a lot of loot to throw around, that'd be a good rod. Now the reel is probably where you want to put more of your money. Keep that in mind.

Joe

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
joefsu said:
I'm no expert that's for sure...Now the reel is probably where you want to put more of your money. Keep that in mind.
In my experience, an expensive reel is not necessary for steelhead. Although I have plenty of higher end reels, I have also caught them on simple click/pawl reels. Steelhead are not tuna, tarpon, or bonefish and one hardly needs a reel capable of handling big-game to land one. Look at the popularity of float fishing (centerpins)? No drags at all! A simple reel constructed of machined or cast aluminum with a disc drag will suffice if one is on a budget, such as the Cabelas Prestige II (around $50) or the Okuma Integrity ($70). Ross has also introduced several reels for less than $100. Obviously, if you can afford more than go for it. A quality rod and fly line will make casting more efficient with less arm fatigue and allow for easier mending, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
37,760 Posts
I've picked up quite a few rods in the past two months and I can honestly say that I didn't see any difference in a $100 rod and a rod that was up around $800.
You might have picked them up, but you sure didn't cast them, the difference would be immediately noticeable. ;)

For MI river steelheading you sure don't need a fine tuned, long distance casting machine. Just about any reasonable quality mid flex rod will do on our rivers. I would opt for a mid flex 9' 8wt myself. Maybe a 9' 6" if I found one in my price range.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I like a 10' 8wt. I like the longer rod for C&D because it gives me a bit longer leader. I had 9' 8wt and broke it in december and switched to a 10'er and I like it better than my 9. An 8 wt can manhandle smaller lake erie steelhead but if you fish the west side youl get into bigger fish. An 8wt will also do just fine for fall kings.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Oh and makes sure whatever you get has a good warranty and that does not mean high price. Temple fork an cabelas both have good warranties and low prices

1 - 16 of 16 Posts