Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fly fishing for pan fish for years but I would like to get started in flyfishing for steehead and salmon. I already have a 8/9 weight rod and reel. What suggestions do you have for weight and kind and amount of backing and line for steelheading and salmon. I suppose I need to get sinking tip and floating tips?
I also may use the same outfit for larger warmwater species and saltwater in the Gulf of Mexico. :) Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the good suggestion. You will all have to forgive me but I guess I'm pretty ignorant about all this. Is that a pretty adaptable flyline? Will that cover me for a breadth of applications ? What about backing? How much? What strength?

·
Registered
276 Posts
there are many lines for many situations. A good way to start off is with a weight forward or rocket tapered line, a ten foot leader and fishing nymphs with a strike indicator. It will help you identify strikes until you get the hang of it. Another way is to use a running line (airflo) and a ten foot leader with shot attatched above your fly and bouncing the bottom. The third line is a sinking line. Teeny lines rock but are expensive, and come in many different sink rates. Usually a 4-6 ips(inchpersecond) line is sufficient in michigan streams, but you can always add a small shot if you need more weight. Most people use the indicator rigs or the running lines. salmon use at least a 8-9 weight in 9 ft length, steelhead use a 6-8 weight line. 8 weights are great for both if you can't afford two rods. go to baldwin bait & tackle web site for a great indy rig explanation. hope this helps

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am using Cortland Micronite fly line backing. (20 pound)
I have no Idea how big you reel capacity is so I couldn't tell you how much to put on your reel.
You will have no problem with the strength of the fly line.
(Where most people have trouble is in there knots they tie)
SA mastery nymph taper will fit most sub surface applications well.

Good Luck
OSD.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate you guys giving me a few minutes of your time. I suppose it will take a while to get this all figured out but you gave me some good starting info.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts