Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a late relative's fly rods recently, but no reels or line. One is a 6' rod marked 2 ounce. The other is a 7' rod marked 3 1/4 ounce. Both are fiberglass. I remember these rods being used on the east branch of the AuSable in the 1960's.
I recall a Pflueger Medalist reel being used on the 6' rod. I don't recall if the same reel was used on the other rod. I'm watching Ebay for a fair deal on a Pflueger Medalist, either a 1492 or a 1492 1/2.
My question is about line weight and type. I recall my relative using a double taper floating line. I remember the line strung between trees and being dressed with a liquid to help it float. Fly line technology has advanced since then. Would a double taper line still be the line to buy or would a different taper be better? Line weight is the other part of the question. My guess is that a modern 2 or 3 weight line would be about right, but how does a person make an educated guess and avoid making an expensive error buying the wrong weight line?
My primary use for the rods will be to throw tiny poppers and flies to the local bluegills. Close work. My casting skills need some practice before I try fishing a narrow brush lined stream like these rods were intended for.
Your thoughts about line taper and weight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but nice that you got the memento rods. Glass rods are making a big come back and new ones are quite expensive. Ive got a square glass rod on the wall that was my dads. I used to have those reels that I bought in the early 70`s and they worked just fine, though I gave them away with some rods. I still see them all the time on ebay.

I`m hooked on older Battenkill disc reels made in England and have them on all my rods. They dont have the loud click of the click and pawl, though some people prefer that click, but are smooth as silk and really feel great. You can get those on ebay for pretty inexpensive too, but I can understand wanting to outfit them with what you remember.

Theres no line weights on the rods? Those weight numbers sound like the weights of the rods themselves. check on the butt end too, that might help with line weights. A lite weight forward floating line should work nice for close up stuff. The fly lines get memory from sitting and stretching them straightens them back out, and the perfect time for some dressing. New line will be nice and slick :)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The best thing you can do is take them to a reputable fly shop and get with their fly rod instructor and he should be able to tell you what weight line is needed for the rods. I doubt if either rod is a 2 or 3 wt.. from that time period my guess would be a 5 wt. I have a couple of glass rods and both from that time are 5 wts. There were very few light line rods built in the 50's and 60's. If you have a friend with fly rods, ask him to go with you someplace where you have the room, and try several of his different lines on the rods, that will help you narrow it down.

D

·
Registered
713 Posts
good advise. Those are shorter rods so probably a little stout, but a pro or casting instructor will know. The trying out some lines is a great idea

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are there any 3-letter markings on the rods (such as HDH or GBF)?

3-letter codes were commonly scribed on older rods to indicate line weight.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Most of were trout fishing 6 wgt fiberglass and bamboo rods in the sixties, may have been some 5 wgts but I donot remember them. Definitely was nothing lighter than that back then. Yes I still have the plueger medalist 1494 I used as a kid in the sixties and seventies, here it is

Their is a classic fly rod forumn you should check out. Weight forward line is what I would line it with at the appropriate weight, as others state take it to your local fly shop and serif they will let you test cast it.
Good luck, btw I still use my old glass rods once in a while.
Bg

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

No 3-letter markings or other line weight indicators on the fiberglass rods or on the butt ends, nor on the aluminum storage tubes.

I'll find a good shop in the spring, or ask a friend who builds fly rods, and try to figure out what line weight casts best. I'll go with a weight forward line since that seems to be the consensus.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Cabelas usually has big sales on their lines that are a couple years old. Not bad line either, great line when you can get it for $15.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts