Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting into fly fishing. What would be a good rod for catching salmon and stellhead.

thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
19,949 Posts
Ideally a 7 for steel and a 9 or 10 for salmon.

I guess an 8 would be a decent compromise, but a bit light for kings. Either way get one with a decent no/hassle warranty. Some builders require you send it in ....And wait and wait for its return. You might loose a season! Been there with T&T

Orvis provides loaners, or might even swap it out of their inventory for a new one. Not sure about Cabela's?

I wouldn't go high end, since fishing for either isn't finesse.

I might have an Orvis 10wt 4 piece TLS I'm willing to part with at a reasonable price. I usually take it to Florida as a back-up, but it's hardly seen a week's use.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm not a huge steelhead guy... mostly a trout fisherman.But I land a few Steelies every year on my fast 6wt. Streamer rod.

Might be a little under powered by most guys standards... but a 6 wt. Can be a very versatile rod. If i could only own one fly rod, it would more than likely be my 6wt. XP.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
like shoe said a 8 weight i like the gpx rods better but this is a real good price on a rod $149.99. plus they got it in stock but if you can stand to wait for the back order the gpx at $79.99 would be perfect too. in a 9 foot 6 inch or even a 10 foot 7/8 weight model. the rod at this link is a very nice rod it would compare to some costing 5-6 times what your paying there i got a a5 5 piece and man it is a nice rod for the price... but if you can find better i would go for it also look at echo rod by tim rajeff and other rods there are quite a few manufactures out there.

just keep it in mind some are USA made some Korea china etc.... don't let the foreign name fool you some of the best bamboo rods came out of japan in the early 1900's also shop around. take you time don't jump on the easy ebay deals usually you get screwed on them. just take you time and chose wisely. even if you can stop in a store and give one a shake and buy it for cheaper some were else your better off. that or buying form that same shop your better off cause you supported a local business

http://albrightflyfish.com/exr-fly-rods.html

·
Registered
549 Posts
With lighter tackle, the quality of reel is less important. But, if you want to land some athletic fish like kings and steel, don't skimp on the reel. Get a large arbor reel with a virgin smooth drag. Then, that 6wt of Jay's oughta be enough. Especially if you are planning to put them on a table. Releasing big fish caught on lighter tackle doesn't always end well.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Depending on your budget, go for the best you can afford. TFO makes a good rod for the money, and the warranty is very good. I prefer the Sage rods but like the Loomis the cost is high. As said above a good large arbor reel is a must. Look for something with reasonable price on spare spools as you will eventually need 2-3 lines. For a combo for both steel and Kings the 8 wt. is a good choice and works well for both.

D

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
There are a couple of TFO 8wts for sale in the Trading post forum, with reels for a decent price.

D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts