Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I am not supposed to let the cats out of their litter box but here it goes. I did a drive by up and down the river to check on what the fishing was like.I fished a bit off shore (but not much) to check wind and visibility.most of where I checked was from the bridge upriver to the mouth.20 knot east winds at 9. 30 knot winds and snow at 2
the steel mill section and the cobo section were bare of boats . the wind was terrible and the river was turning to mud .
the alter road to the coast guard section had a bunch of boats early but the water was getting pretty cloudy .maybe 1-2 foot visibility. nobody was off the sturgeon hole or sand piles. pure mud.
now here is the good part. just east of the belle Isle bridge at the foot of van dyke is the alden park apartments. there were 4 boats bunched up against shore catching a bunch of fish .I was at the new park just south of uniroyal and got kicked out of shoreline east. the water was still pretty clean. some fished the belle isle bridge but I only saw 1 caught.I did here but cant confirm that trenton was mud except for the discharge. stay out of canada .pure mud.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Trenton was dang clean yesterday.

Lots of those tourney guys have been fishing way south in lake erie for the past 5 days.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
andy capp said:
Trenton was dang clean yesterday.

Lots of those tourney guys have been fishing way south in lake erie for the past 5 days.
I doubt they are there today with the East winds, its got to be rougher then heck!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Guys,

A friend of mine is fishing the tournament.

All the guys that were pre-fishing the lake over the last few days are pretty bummed out right now. I know my friend was last night when he was at my house listening to the Lake Erie open water forecast.

The FLW closed Lake Erie to fishing today because of the conditions and limited the fishing to the Michigan waters of the Detroit River. At least that is what the Lowrance Support Rep has mentioned this morning when he stopped the store. A few nice fish were caught as of 11:00 am today too. With the weather and water clarity I am pretty excited to see what is in store at the weigh-in.

I am heading there shortly....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I enjoy fishing like anybody else but the weather right now just plain old SUCKS!!!!!!!:rant: :( :evilsmile

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks and sounds like i better make sure to throw the hand lineing reels in the boat.Why is it when i make plans to come down for a few days river turns to mud.Glad we limited yesterday cause its sounds like next couple days will be tough.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the detroit river walk is almost done. hart plaza to the other side of belle isle bridge. pathways ,lighting,picnic tables, and new fishing spots.
its good to see something positive happening in detroit. one park is next to the coast guard station and between the old uniroyal property. I flushed a couple BIG old phasants. one beautiful male and a female . I wish I had taken the camera.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread. But I remember about twenty years ago when I used to fish St Jeans a lot, at this time of year there used to be so many huge roosters running around.... it was crazy. Now I've forty acres of land I've been managing for phasants for last five years and it's all I can do to get a dozen or so to hang around. Anyway, it's good to hear there are still huge Motor City roosters running around in the vacant lots by the river.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts