Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out float tubing tonight and it took me a while to get in the water because a medium sized snapping turtle was near the area I enter the pond and the pond only has the one spot to enter and the shoreline is swampy and overgrown. My question is has anyone ever been bitten or attacked by any snapping turtle, muskrat, or other animals while float tubing or do they just leave you alone? I figure they probably want to avoid humans but with the stealthy approach of a float tube I could see how you could startle the animals and possibly provoke an attack.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have had one attack, and one near-miss accident.

I had a swan chase me all over a small lake near Grayling once. The lake had a VERY soft marl bottom, and this swan just kept right after me until I could get out.

My other experience was due to my quarry. Whilest fishing for bass in a nearby lake here in T.C., I hooked into a 19-20" pike. It came right to me ,and then did the "freak-out" dive. On its way down it rubbed my leg and one barb of a treble on the Rapala hooked into my waders. I was lucky that it didn't go into my leg. The pike didn't thrash too much, and I was able to get to shore without incident. I had to tear my waders, but it could have been much worse.

-Real

1 - 2 of 2 Posts