Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed to fish the lower Big Man this upcoming weekend, and typically fish spawn under a bobber. In previous years i have not done so hot float fishing, and most people i see down low are bottom bouncing spawn. Is bottom bouncing that much more effective to fish this section of river this time of year? I enjoy float fishing a lot more than bottom bouncing, but would like to get into more numbers.Do i just need to keep at it, adjusting my float to different depths(what is a good depth to start at down low) and covering lots of water and remain confident?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Try and keep your bait close to the bottom, 6" or so up. If unsure of depth, keep raising your float until it's dragging bottom and raise it from there.
Bottom bouncing has it's time and place like any other technique, stop looking at it from an "instead of" view point and try looking at it from an " in addition to".
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You probably won't see them. But there are fish spawning in alot of different areas. Rolling it puts it in their face. Can be dynamite any time your around spawning fish.
If I'm fishin anywhere and see multiple hookups ill throw that pin right to the bottom of boat. Grab the spin or fly and chuck it at em.
I'm talking spawn and trout not boots.

Here fishy fishy..

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I like bottom bouncing more than anything else, but, why not use a slip bobber just like walleye fishing or whatever. It does work as you can adjust your depth a lot easier, and the float will slide up and down the line giving you the ability to fish a float at deeper depths if needed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I like bottom bouncing more than anything else, but, why not use a slip bobber just like walleye fishing or whatever. It does work as you can adjust your depth a lot easier, and the float will slide up and down the line giving you the ability to fish a float at deeper depths if needed.
Exactly.

You can do "bobber doggin" with slinky weights. Use a slip float and have the top current pull the float while the weight keeps it on the bottom. This way you have an even better idea of what is happening on the bottom. You can also move your stuff around obstructions easier.

I use a little longer leader. About 2-2 1/2 feet opposed to 18".

·
Registered
13,975 Posts
Take two rods. One rigged for bottom bouncing, and one rigged for floating. Use each where they are most appropriate.

Funny story. I few years back there was a particular run on the Ausable that held real good numbers of fish all fall. I hit it Thanksgiving morning, and immediately hooked a nice fish of about 6#. It fought like crazy, and broke me off. I laid that bottom bouncing rod down, and grabbed my pin rod, and hooked him up again using a float. Again he broke me off. So I retied and hooked him AGAIN, bottom bouncing. And he broke me off AGAIN! I hooked that little bastage 7 times before I landed it. He left me hooked to a log once, and broke me off 5 times. But the 7th time was the charm.

I understand that some might be skeptical that it was the same fish 7 times, but I am 100% sure. I could tell by sight, as it leaped each time, and I was actually able to get it very close to the boat a few times, before the time I landed it. That was a great fish.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Take two rods. One rigged for bottom bouncing, and one rigged for floating. Use each where they are most appropriate.

Funny story. I few years back there was a particular run on the Ausable that held real good numbers of fish all fall. I hit it Thanksgiving morning, and immediately hooked a nice fish of about 6#. It fought like crazy, and broke me off. I laid that bottom bouncing rod down, and grabbed my pin rod, and hooked him up again using a float. Again he broke me off. So I retied and hooked him AGAIN, bottom bouncing. And he broke me off AGAIN! I hooked that little bastage 7 times before I landed it. He left me hooked to a log once, and broke me off 5 times. But the 7th time was the charm.

I understand that some might be skeptical that it was the same fish 7 times, but I am 100% sure. I could tell by sight, as it leaped each time, and I was actually able to get it very close to the boat a few times, before the time I landed it. That was a great fish.
Cool story, think its time for some new leader!:yikes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts