Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do it all the time. I seldom use another method any more.

For winter fish....8-10 lb test mono, Thill Turbomster float, 1/8-1/4 oz marabou jig, 10.5 ft. spiining rod..

For summer fish........6-8 lb. mono, same float, 1/16-1/8 oz jigs.

Great fun and a more visual method than the "feel" required for drift fishing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would recomend 4# or 6# leader especially for low clear water of late fall and winter...as for baits, spawn bags, wigglers, and wax worms work well .....a small jig can be fished plain or tipped with one of the above baits.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
All good tips so far. Something not yet mentioned is sometimes it helps to use a weighted bobber. It will allow you to cast a bit further, which isn't totally neccessary but nice sometimes. Also with inconsistant depths that your rig will be covering, it will ensure the slip bobber is always pointing 'up' for you, and you can see a bite or a bottom 'tick' easier. I use the black/orange thill bobbers that have a little lead ring around the bottom.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Most places have them, and most shops will stock up on them for fall / spring steelhead. I saw them at Hesperia sport shop, since the white river is a good float fishing river. I also found them for a buck a piece at Kmart on clearance one time. Usually they are in a bulk bin near other slip bobbers. Usually easy to notice the Black/Orange coloring.

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
I float fish with a center pin, not alot maybe three or four times a week after work. I use several types of floats, hold them on with plastic tubing top and bottom. The thill steelhead floats work well. I fish spawn and sometimmes wax worms or egg flies. You dont have to be very deep my experience is the fish will come up quite aways, this helps alot in snaggy water.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
these are the ones that scotty is talkin bout, personally i don't use these, but he seems to like em.

bobber

steve

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
this year i'm gonna use new ones called Drennan Crystal Avon floats, pricey, but have heard good things about em.

steve

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
I float in a BOAT...Shhh!!!!!!!! Don't tell anyone....:)

I use a bobber with a hook and some splitshots and a Pink Spawn bag....4lb Test Floralcarbon leader.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Count me in also as a regular bobber guy. I like using the Wasp carlisle types as 1) I find the red w/ chartreuse stem the easiest to see 2) the long stem tip acts like a speedometer needle and it is easier for me to see what the rig is doing 3) They are cheap enough that I don't feel like I need to jump in after it if I break off like a 3 dollar bobber 4) I like the truer drift and weighting characteristics of balsa vs a foam or plastic bobber. Another one that I like are Graylings, but they are hard to find and I only use my treasured stock when fishing relatively open rivers. The clear plastic ones are becoming the rage as of late. With those, I like the Red Wing Black Bird ones as they can hold more weight than the Drennans. However, they can be hard for you, and other fishermen to see.

There are alot of good bobbers out there, and, like any tool, it is good to pick the best one for the job.

One commonality with all of them is that it critical they are properly weighted for maximum sensitivity. On a carlisle, that would be when the point at which only the top 1/4 of the body of the bobber is above water.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Don,
I always thought that pink was yur signature color!!........LOL!

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
You hope there all hens!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Aside from all the hen talk,;) what's the best way to hook a wiggler so it doesn't come off or explode? I've only tried float-fishing w/ these ugly buggers one time and got sick of hooking them up after every cast!
Thanks in advance...Sid

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Hook the wriggler through the tail.

Begin at the point where the tail seems to join the main body of the nymph and work the point of the hook under the critter's exo-skeleton (it isn't skin) so the tail of the wriggler subscribes to the bend of the hook.

Not having any real solid tissue to hold, wrigglers do come off at times.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Thanks Whit, I had a heckuva time w/ these things! I assume a #8 hook should do the trick?
Thanks again...Sid

1 - 20 of 25 Posts