Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got the roof racks out.. and the canoe.. and we started planning a trip to the shiwasee to float it and fish for a day. I was wondering if anyone on this forum lives out near shi town, durand, vernon or somewhere along there that maybe could give me a report on the river and how high it is. Or if someone on here knows a website or someplace I can call to make sure that the water isn't going to be real high and muddy before we go.

Also.. someone told me that they float the Flint river near Flushing from the mt morris road bridge down to ?
I forget where they said they take out at. I was wondering if anyone knows any runs between there we could float the canoe through and try to catch some fish...

And last.. I'd like to know some spots to fish the flint river from shore.. I know there is holloway below the dam, and in fact next time I go out there I have to see how far down river I can actually walk and fish. I haven't been past the oak rd bridge yet. Also there is flushing park, but that is one hell of a walk from the car.. maybe if I could wade there but I dunno if it's a good idea.. current is sort of strong?
There is riverview park in flushing, which I've never been to before, but I'd think there would be some fish in there somewhere.. I heard that there is a park in down town flint that I could fish at.. but that is kind of scary territory for me..

Thanks in advance to anyone who might help me out.. You guys have helped me quite a bit on here and hopefully I can return the favor sometime.. :fish:

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
A great float on the Flint is from the Halloway dam down to the park on Irish Road, or you could continue on to Mott if you have time.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey there's an idea! I actually mentioned that to my fishing buddy and he said there'd be a lot of down trees in there, but I guess no matter where you float there's going to be crap like that, just gotta get around it...

btw have you ever just shore fished from the park on irish road? I'm thinking that might be a good place to try and dance a jig or two...

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
There are a lot of down trees on that float. They are what provide cover for the bass and walleye. :)

I have shore fished from that park, and caught as few fish, but you are better off wading or floating.

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
You might see me out there, leaving in a little bit for Columbiaville. I'll be the guy waving the fly rod around trying to uncatch a tree.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hey,would you please keep your eye out for any beaver sign while your fishing,and maybe send me a p.m. with the location's?Would be a big help too me.THANX:)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Either one or both.I'm allway's looking to expand my trapline.I don't like to take more than a couple of beave's from any one spot[unless the land owner want's them all removed]so I need as many spot's as I can get.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I fish the shi between vernon and corunna often as my mom lives on the river. I was out on monday and the river was perfect, may be lower now due to lack of rain but still floatable. Just watch out for some real big boulders right below the surface. Green tubes rigged texas might be a good choice.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks shayward! maybe the rain we're supposed to get won't be too bad then.. I think we are going sometime during this week maybe wednesday or thursday seem to be good weather days..

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I dont float fish, but i do fish the flint river from time to time. Lots of walleyes are below the holloway dam, and further below. Lots of sublegal fish, but if you sort through them you can get your keepers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just stating the obvious here, the shi is now a disaster. Lots of trees hit the river as strong storms moved through on Saturday and the all day rain on Sunday has it way over the banks and running something like chocolate milk in color.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts