Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going up to Fletcher's this weekend...any advice? I have been there before..we camp at Jack's Landing and fish all weekend...I ususally go in mid June and do well, but is this a better time for the Pike?:sad:

If you fished there before, where are the "must fish" spots...stumps, old creek bed or the old railroads...I hear about these places...but I'm sure someone has a little secret spot that could share...I won't tell anyone:D !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
They are supposedly killing the bass there right know. The guy at Jacks says anglers are reporting 60 bass a day. The pike are also supposedly hitting well. Not as many pike were taken during hard water so there is a better population of pike then in recent years. The fishing is always good there but especially now thru mid July. The old rail road bed we usually always hit at least once but concentrate more aound the stumps by lyons and do most our fishing along the main river channel (deepest part). Good luck. I will be there in five weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,251 Posts
We shore fish off of Paradise Lodge and Moore's landing and we have caught nearly our limit of panfish. I got my first pike ever, and then later I caught a keeper and another got away from the dam area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
We will be there also this weekend. With Fletchers it doesnt really matter where you are at, there is fish. This time of year I throw BIG baits, whether it be spinners or rapalas, its a great time to be there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey N.Pike... look for 3 goof balls drifting all over the place and snagging everything in the lake:lol: That'll be us!!!



n.pike said:
We will be there also this weekend. With Fletchers it doesnt really matter where you are at, there is fish. This time of year I throw BIG baits, whether it be spinners or rapalas, its a great time to be there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,251 Posts
Well if you get near the dam area and see a heavy set red head female, yell Hey Nancy and if they reply, its me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hey guys, i will be fishing Fletcher pond June 16-23 this year for the first time and I am looking foward to it. I have fished all of the Au Sable river lakes, foote, cook, loud and alcona for the last 10 years but I plan on fishing Fletcher this year. I assume throwing spinner baits and spoons is the way to go but is there a section of the lake I should focus on for this time of year or is there a section I should avoid. It sounds like there is weeds and structure all over. Not looking for specifics, just general help so the wife will have fun and want to come back more often.

Thanks bigfish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
bigfish44 said:
Hey guys, i will be fishing Fletcher pond June 16-23 this year for the first time and I am looking foward to it. I have fished all of the Au Sable river lakes, foote, cook, loud and alcona for the last 10 years but I plan on fishing Fletcher this year. I assume throwing spinner baits and spoons is the way to go but is there a section of the lake I should focus on for this time of year or is there a section I should avoid. It sounds like there is weeds and structure all over. Not looking for specifics, just general help so the wife will have fun and want to come back more often.

Thanks bigfish
We will be ariving there the 21st and fishing the 22-24 (June). If you see two guys and a girl fishing, give us a shout. I like to fish the main river channel, the deepest parts for bass and pike. Just drift with the wind and keep throwing those spinnerbaits and you should be able to pick up lots of bass and pike. Also look for weed beds and hit them. Stay away from the far east side by the damn if you are targeting bass and pike. That area has some panfish but very few bass and pike compared to the central to north western areas. Here is the map of Fletchers http://www.fishweb.com/maps/alpena/fletcher/. Stay in the deeper areas and you will be golden. You can also try the rail road grave and stump areas for some good bass action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hey Bassman, Hey thanks for the info. After I posted the other day I remember I have been there, way back in 1993:idea: . I didn't know the name, I went with some buddies who had been there. We went for 4 days around the 4th of July. The one boat we took burnt up the first day because weeds clogged his water intakes. Ended up being a drunk fest. We had bright blue skies, no wind and everyone got sunburned really bad and we drank so late that we never saw the water before noon:dizzy: .
I did get to see my first pike though, kinda funny. We stayed at the cabins at the upper end of the lake were it narrows to a creek, Lyons:confused: But the last day we fished for a few hours in the morning with nonthing but a trolling motor around the cabin area. Of course the weather had changed to cloudy and a nice wind on the day we had to leave. The guy I was with caught a hammerhandle and I had a big one blow up on a buzzbait.

When we got back to the cabins and was packing up when an old timer and his wife came in on a big pontoon boat. They had the biggest pike I have yet to see. A 39 1/2" caught on a zebco 33, dacron line and a small mepps #2 comet with a big wire leader. The old lady (in late 70's or early 80's) told us how lucky they were to have had thier billy club in the boat. She told us how hard it was for her to net the darn thing and then it jumped out of the net when they got it in the boat. She said that it was jumping all over and she said that everytime it jumped up (to bite her) :tdo12: she knocked it with the club.
I know it's not nearly as funny the way I tell it, but hearing this little old lady tell us about trying to knock out "a devil of a fish half her size" trying to bite her made for quite a visual:xzicon_sm . It was too bad a great fish like that had to be killed for the story, but the old lady told us to get our pictures with it, she insisted, so I brought back a picture of me and a 39 1/2" pike:chillin: . I had my intire family believing that I caught it. It really made them mad when I told them a couple of years later that I didn't catch it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
We were there Sat and Sun, fished for about 6 hrs total. We caught 22 pike, the biggest weighing 10 lbs, most in the 25-28 inch range. We also caught and released 11 bass. Weeds were just starting to grow, so we were able to use many different lures, the best being a fire tiger spinnerbait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,251 Posts
bigfish44 said:
The old lady (in late 70's or early 80's) told us how lucky they were to have had thier billy club in the boat. She told us how hard it was for her to net the darn thing and then it jumped out of the net when they got it in the boat. She said that it was jumping all over and she said that everytime it jumped up (to bite her) :tdo12: she knocked it with the club.
I know it's not nearly as funny the way I tell it, but hearing this little old lady tell us about trying to knock out "a devil of a fish half her size" trying to bite her made for quite a visual:xzicon_sm .
and my husband wonders why I have a baseball bat in the van.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I was at Fletcher's yesterday and fished from around 8:00 till 4:00 pm. The wind was from the south and quite strong. The waves were beating me and my girlfriend up bad. We were fishing east of the public launch in one of the small coves trying to get out of the wind, but to no luck, we deceided to head back to Jack's for a late lunch. while fighting the waves in our small row boat witha 9-1/2 HP motor, we saw a fish floating in the water that looked like it was all tied up with fishing line. It was hard to tell beacuse of all the chop in the water. I turned the boat around and she got the net and we netted this..............
Picture to follow......
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=60384
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
First off I want to say thanks for all the great advice already posted on here. I'm heading up that way to fish Lake Avalon for Splake, Long Lake for Walleye & Bass, and Fletchers Pond for Pike on June 12-17th. I've had great success with Splake on Avalon every year around dusk but have had tough times with both other lakes. With Long Lake I'm mostly looking to land some Walleyes and have heard that trolling crawler harnesses is the ticket and at Fletchers I'm focusing on Pike. Last year at Fletcher's i fished the east side of the lake and landed only one nice largemouth. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
I don't know about Long Lake but you fished the wrong side of the lake at Fletchers. If you want pike fish the western to central part were it is the deepest along the main channel and you will do fine. Use big flashy lures like spinner baits, mepps (#4-5) and or rattle traps. You should be able to pick up a good amount of pike and bass. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Bassman Dan said:
I don't know about Long Lake but you fished the wrong side of the lake at Fletchers. If you want pike fish the western to central part were it is the deepest along the main channel and you will do fine. Use big flashy lures like spinner baits, mepps (#4-5) and or rattle traps. You should be able to pick up a good amount of pike and bass. Good luck.
I totally agree with the above post. Hit what we call "Pike Alley". There is a barn on the western shore of the pond. Line up 1000 yards off the shore of said barn and drift West. Black spinners seemed to produce the best for us.

Good luck and tight lines:fish:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
We had a good laugh about 4 years ago up there. The fishing report we got from talking with one of the hired hands upon our arrival was that, "The fishing is great, the bass are jumping everywhere!". We were excited and went out early Saturday. It was a beautiful, flat calm, morning and was already getting very warm. The two of us managed 3 bass above 14 inches with lots of chunky smaller ones thrown in but we noticed the fish "jumping everywhere". You could see splashing around the entire lake! Good thing we brought our bows. We went pig hunting. The trick is not to shoot every carp swimming by because you'll soon over load your boat. Look for the Master Anglers - if you hunt, you'll shoot some monsters! The real trick is to squeak the arrow past all of the peripheral males surrounding the big female in the middle. Make sure you dull your arrow tip or you'll sink it into wood with a miss.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top