Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on another post, and I thought I would post the question to other fletcher veterans? Is Fletchers Pond fish production down?

I started going there a few yrs ago and love the peacefull lake, always land at least 1 5lb plus bass and 10lb pike along with 30+ plus fish in bass and pike.

"We have been fishing Fletchers for 20 years and use to have outstanding days there. We could each have 30+ half days with many large bass ( one over 7 pounds). We always looked forward to our trips there. We kept detailed written accounts of our trips and have seen the daily numbers and size dwindle to dismal levels. We tried adjusting - we fished in April, may, June, and July thinking that maybe it was just our "timing". But it was not be. In the past, we saw people coming back to the docks with stringers full of bass. No wonder things are tanking! To Jack's Landing credit they really campained to get people to catch and release. They even turned in out-of-staters for "possesing" 3 or 4 limits. Fletcher's is dead and I am not hyperbolizing for effect. If you are a newbie to Fletcher's what you will find is that you will read great reports before your trip. When you get there you will find things have "changed". When you get home and check reports you will see great things. You will blame it on your timing, the weather, or whatever, and you will try again with the same results. The question is how quick will you learn. There is outstanding bass fishing throughout this state as I travel widely just in pursuit of bass. I will take Muskegon Lake, Pentwater Lake, Great Lakes inlets and bays, Thunder Bay, Mullet lake, most lakes in Newaygo county, Flat River, White Lake, golf course ponds, Grand River, and and a massive list of others over Fletcher's. Muskegon Lake will outfish Fletchers any day. I feel sorry for Jack's, we really liked their hospitality, clean campground, and great food, but we won't be back."

what do you think???

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'd like to here answers to this please-If you've fished Fletcher's in the Summer in the last 2 years or so...how did you do? I'm headed there next weekend...or maybe not?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was on Fletchers over Memorial Day weekend last year. If you get a chance, GO!. We have 2 familys that make a trip to a new area for a long Memorial Day weekend evey year and Fletchers was by far the best fishing we have had. I thought the bluegill fishing was even better than Rice Lake. Bluegills, Crappie, Pike and Bass, you can't go wrong if you want a good time.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Two of us fished there 3 weeks ago. 4 hrs Sat and 2 hrs Sun, 31 pike and 11 bass. Its still a great place to go.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Makes me wonder SHWATEC...is it a quantity or quality problem? Geez, talk about reports from opposite ends of the spectrum:confused:

·
Registered
990 Posts
We caught most of the pike on big spinnerbaits 1/2 to 3/4 oz, firetiger was the best color. The west half of the lake produced best, anywhere in thick weeds. A few pike were caught on yellow/red daredevil, and a couple on johnson silver minnow 1 1/4 oz. Bass were scattered everywhere, most were 10 -14 inches. Pike averaged 26'', and the biggest was a 10 pounder.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've fished it the last 3 summers and I can't complain. I've heard from my cousin and others that it is down from what is was 10 years ago but the fishing is still good. Last August was the slowest we have fished there but that was after a severe cold front passed through. We usually kill the bass and pike. I haven't fished to many other lakes besides the ones around me, but Fletchers is great. Anyone can catch fish there. I will be there in two weeks also.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
the floodwaters will always offer pretty fair fishing....NO jet skis or powerboaters tearing up beds/very little shoreline development, minimum runoffs, river fed/nearly 10K acres when the water is up..weed n wood cover it all........in the 50's we used to catch 36 to 40 inch pike with great regularity..coulda put a 5 fish limit together that woulda came close to 80 lbs..is it still like that? no.... used to get some braggin size smallies..never really hear anyone talk about the bronzebacks anymore.....have a mount of 6lb 3 oz bucketmouth, circa 1988 hanging on the wall..will you always catch trophies? no..but hit her right and its about as fast of action as any inland water in the state, throw in all the panfish and bulheads, you can keep kids fishing from dawn til dusk...now the fact somebody had a tough week..geez..don't we all!:( ..............

·
Registered
90 Posts
caught fishing off the dam there at Fletchers. I was talking to twq guys fishing for gills with bobbers and this fish was busting the surface out where the floats were strung across in front of the dam. He busted the surface about 3 times in 10 minutes. I told the 2 guys I was going to get my rod out of the truck and throw this fish some top water stuff. Tied on a Jitterbug and tossed it out there and on the second cast he nailed it. Fish on! Those guys couldnt believe their eyes and nor could I. lol That was my largest bass to date at 8 lbs. He put up a real nice fight. And I continued to fish for 2 hours after that and didnt get another bite. The two guys looked at me and said "You got your limit already" hahaah

·
Registered
137 Posts
I probably take my fishing and hunting a little to seriously but here is the big picture for me and my regular fishin' bud. When we started going to Fletchers with my dad many, many, years ago we pounded the fish. We had off days but we could use end up with quite a satisfying trip. We have kept detailed logs of every fish we caught (bass). If I look back over the years, on some days, we used to be able to catch 25 -35 bass (not pike) in a six hour stretch. About half or more of those would be legal. Over the last six years the numbers started to dwindle. We attributed it to "timing" or weather or whatever. We adjusted. We made multiple trips at differfrent times - nothing changed. Don't get me wrong, we still catch fish and some nice ones. It just that we can do much better than a half dozen or dozen 14"+ bass combined per trip (we don't count sub legal fish). 11 bass for two people in six hours just is not what we are looking for. We don't care for pike, don't fish for bluegills, so we just look at size and quantity of bass. If the numbers don't add up we move on. My buddy is a little more forgiving than I am but he sees the bigger picture now. Open your mind for a minute to the endless opportunities available all around the state from Lake St. Clair to the Sylvania Wilderness in the western UP down through the Traverse Bays down to Muskegon Lake. All of these areas have beautiful state parks and campgrounds and great bass fishing. I have taken numerous smallmouth over 5 pounds from Mullet and Burt Lakes, more 5 pound bass than I can count from Newaygo, Muskegon, and Kent counties (last saturday I caught three limits of bass over 3.5 pounds with scads of smaller ones in three hours by myself from Fremont Lake - I would have had a box of at least 21 pounds just myself if fishing a tourny) and the list goes on. Read the reports on this site about LSC and 30 -100 fish days where your arms are sore from 4 lb. + BASS! Check out the Sunday afternoon bass shows on Traverse Bays where Pros catch thier personal best smallies and massive amounts of other bass. If it's pike , panfish, or carp shooting your after you'll have a great time on Fletcher. If your into catching at least one limit, maybe two or three limits, of 14"+ bass a day then Fletcher is not for you. Keep a detailed written log to keep your memory honest and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think we kept going because we were in a rut for our yearly trip. Now we're flexible, creative, and do lots of research. Don't mind me too much however, we had a hell of a lot fun there and I'm just pertubed that it's not what it used to be. I really like the fact that there were no jet skis and pleasure boats and you definitly have that, "I'm outta Dodge feeling". There's a lot of adventure to be had in this state so don't limit yourself - think big and outside the box. We may be back this year, however, the carp shooting is outstanding at Fletchers!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im heading out to fletchers to jacks landing in the next 2 weeks regardless. i really enjoy the peace on the lake without jet skis and speed boats. I have always done well on the lake.

Are there any other lakes up north with a set up like fletchers and jacks.....Peacefull, place to stay and camp, rent boats, plenty big bass and pike..??

I open to new lakes especially if they produce better than fletchers....

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
shwatec said:
Im heading out to fletchers to jacks landing in the next 2 weeks regardless. i really enjoy the peace on the lake without jet skis and speed boats. I have always done well on the lake.

Are there any other lakes up north with a set up like fletchers and jacks.....Peacefull, place to stay and camp, rent boats, plenty big bass and pike..??

I open to new lakes especially if they produce better than fletchers....
michigamme resevoir(near crystal falls,yooper) has 1 resort..way dam resort and very little in the way of pleasure boaters..peavy pond (same chain) has a resort(michaho) that requires a river trip to the lake...tippy dam pond has 1 resort..camp mana pine..hodenplye is similar(i am unsure of resorts here)..greenwood resevoir..(no wake) but no resorts on her..bond falls..only a campground and a few pleasure types...hoist dam, heavily cottaged but with her sunken rock islands and stumps very little pleasure boating(no camping or resorts, to my knowledge)..and numerous smaller bodies of water in the u.p.....most of these have camping available..producing better? hmmm..ya want bass(smallies)..hoist(a.k.a sundstrom lake or dead stream flooding) is probably best ..pike? geenwood...a mix? peavy...........i have always found the north side of drummond island(maxton bay etc) BIG WATER to be similar..but as my buddy Jimbobway always reminds me "DON"T LEAVE FISH(sag bay, st clair, Erie) to FIND FISH!:lol: ........Most inland fisheries do not produce the Size and Numbers they once did..but then again Detroit river, lake erie, saginaw bay, even rainy lake in minnesota are all RECLAIMATION SUCCESS STORIES..............you want numbers? ya can't eat them, ya have to use artificials and you have to release them...try deer lake basin in the yooper..no reason a GOOD fisherperson couldn't hook or catch 2 or 300 a day here..anyway./.we'' se ya on the water.. hopefully(weather,health permitting) i'll be on some body of water next 43 days straight!...lol

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
All the fish pics on my profile were taken THIS year on Fletchers. One day I got a sore arm from fighting some huge gills. Ive C&R a number of large pike, caught my 2 croppies off of the dam. And we only have shore fished so far. but yeah with all that underwater cover, its just a matter of finding them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My family has gone to Fletchers ever since I was a little kid and my grandparents lived damn near on the lake for about 20 years before I was born. As far as I can see it, the lake has its on years and off years. We have gone out some years and had days where we really cleaned up, and the very next year we would not even come close. There is a lot of cover in the lake and the REAL trophies are still out there. Best advice i can give is keep the line in the water and keep your head up. Im going to be there for the Bass season opening in 3 weeks come hell or high water. Good luck to all who fish there:coolgleam

·
Registered
90 Posts
and I look forward to it all year long. Its some of the best fishing there is. I wouldnt miss it for anything. Is it the best I dont know. Its real good though. I never do good with the pike that time of year though. Whats the trick to catching them in June?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I wouldn't mind taking a trip up there this summer. Where is the best place on the lake to rent a decent cabin. I would like to take my girlfriend up there but dont want her to have to stay in a **** hole.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts