Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how everyone did in the flats opener? I heard there wasn't any birds there yet, can this be confirmer? I made it back up to my zone 2 honey hole, needless to say the honey dried up. Beautiful camping weather , no birds. Left hunting to go back to the campsite pretty early in the morning due to no birds. Went for a ride around noon to scout the night spot out and saw a poor setup of guys hunting on the bank with people drinking on a pontoon driving right by them with their mojo's spinning and everything. It seemed to be geriatric boating weekend.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I know there are plenty of birds around, but I'm sure the mild weather didn't help matters. I heard mixed reports, but I was not there to hunt. So I'll wait to see if some who did hunt chime in.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am taking Tuesday and Wednesday mornings off work to hunt. I will post results. I had a feeling this warm weather is killing all hunting (birds and deer). Even all the geese that were in Saginaw city by the waste treatment plants are gone. Last few weeks I would drive by every morning and see last least a few hundred. Where are the mallards? Need a week or 2 of some nasty cold weather, to give them a push.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Openning morning at Harsens was the loudest I have ever witnessed. Sunday mornig we saw maybe 12 ducks total flying. What a difference a day makes.

Ken

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Openning morning at Harsens was the loudest I have ever witnessed. Sunday mornig we saw maybe 12 ducks total flying. What a difference a day makes.

Ken

I experienced the same exact thing in the Zone 2 opener, and it continued this weekend. Not many birds. Where did they all go, they ALL didn't get shot, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
We are entering the October lull. The 15th-25th and most of the time until the end of October is always pretty slow in my area. There is a day or two here and there of good shooting, but overall pretty slow.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
heh, no birds at shiawassee yet, thats a pretty good one.

pretty dull due to weather being 70 and blue bird, last hour was a spectacle tho...mallards and pins trying to bomb in...in some pretty big flocks.

fyi, there was more birds staged on teh flats for this opener than any of the past 5-6 years. weather was not on z3's side for opener.

·
Registered
529 Posts
:lol: funny **** there boy
Well I couldn't agree with his post any more! Middle of October is alway slow, weather is usually never on our side. Unless you like killing lots of wood ducks over mallards the hunting doesn't get good until November. My buddy had first pick opening morning at Shiawassee he took 6 ducks and four geese between two of them. Not all too bad considering the summer like weather. I know there are a lot of birds there we just need some good cold weather which will come...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well I couldn't agree with his post any more! Middle of October is alway slow, weather is usually never on our side. Unless you like killing lots of wood ducks over mallards the hunting doesn't get good until November. My buddy had first pick opening morning at Shiawassee he took 6 ducks and four geese between two of them. Not all too bad considering the summer like weather. I know there are a lot of birds there we just need some good cold weather which will come...

If you cant find birds in the middle of z3 over the next couple weeks something is just wrong. sorry so it struck me as funny . I know I wont have any issues with it .

·
Registered
11,662 Posts

If you cant find birds in the middle of z3 over the next couple weeks something is just wrong. sorry so it struck me as funny . I know I wont have any issues with it .
totally agree. October lull is only a lull due the time between opener and the main mallard migration.....with us opening later, the main migration should be starting in about a week if it hasn't already. this is shaping up to be a really good season for us (srsga). lotsa birds, plenty of food and water....combined with late start....gonna be good. soon as we get some chilly weather its gonna be like a light switch.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Hmmmmm the infamous "October lull" is pretty widely known it is always there for the 20 years I have been duck hunting. I live in a deer area, well the 3 surrounding counties here in the middle of the state are more deer orientated then ducks. Come November 1st it starts to get going and will just get better as the month goes on. Good to hear SRSGA is doing good. Love the no spinner rule there!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Flats opener for us was good. We had a fun wood duck shoot the first morning and then sunday got a great draw and got into a feild , lots of ducks around , the weather was a bummer tho. They would bomb the feild but wouldnt get any closer than 50 yrds. Managed to fool a couple tho. Geese were working good. They saved the day for alot of people. All in all i say we had a good opener. Also got a small goose, cackler goose? Richardson goose possibly? Either way cool bird, it was a fun day for sure. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1381767456.649830.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hmmmmm the infamous "October lull" is pretty widely known it is always there for the 20 years I have been duck hunting. I live in a deer area, well the 3 surrounding counties here in the middle of the state are more deer orientated then ducks. Come November 1st it starts to get going and will just get better as the month goes on. Good to hear SRSGA is doing good. Love the no spinner rule there!

First off Matt sorry to hijack this second off born and raised right here in Jackson county been hunting ducks here since 84= 29 yrs :) if you want to sit on the good ole river where everyone hammers it every day and call it a lull im good with that but me ill walk into a pot hole in the woods where no one else will put effort and call it a great early season and like kid said weather will be the switch look at the next seven day forecast birds are gonna be everywhere btw never been to srsga and if you want to open another thread on the lull we can banter there

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
totally agree. October lull is only a lull due the time between opener and the main mallard migration.....with us opening later, the main migration should be starting in about a week if it hasn't already. this is shaping up to be a really good season for us (srsga). lotsa birds, plenty of food and water....combined with late start....gonna be good. soon as we get some chilly weather its gonna be like a light switch.

Quit talking dirty to me, boners are frowned upon at the office.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts