Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we're do I start, I've fished the Huron river dam in flatrock lots of times, I've always caught walleye and always seen to hook a steelhead but I end up losing all of them but one, probably because I may have snagged them steelhead most of the time on accident, but the one time I did bring one out she had the fly in her mouth.

Anyways I love steelhead fishing as much as I love walleye fishing, but I love the fight of a steelhead, my thing is that flatrock is close to me and there are not many places around the city of Dearborn that have a steelhead or salmon run around me so flatrock is kinda a great thing for me, very convenient, well I'd like to know how and what kind of fishing there is down there at this time of the year at flatrock dam, I've never been there in October or November, I have not been there for a long time all together,

if there's anyone that could explain this to me I'd like that very much, if anyone knows more about the steelhead and walleye fishing this time of the year down there, let me know. I've been there but I would like to know more about the place, I should have made some friends down there when I had the change, but people down there seem to just do there thing and that's that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well we're do I start, I've fished the Huron river dam in flatrock lots of times, I've always caught walleye and always seen to hook a steelhead but I end up losing all of them but one, probably because I may have snagged them steelhead most of the time on accident, but the one time I did bring one out she had the fly in her mouth.

Anyways I love steelhead fishing as much as I love walleye fishing, but I love the fight of a steelhead, my thing is that flatrock is close to me and there are not many places around the city of Dearborn that have a steelhead or salmon run around me so flatrock is kinda a great thing for me, very convenient, well I'd like to know how and what kind of fishing there is down there at this time of the year at flatrock dam, I've never been there in October or November, I have not been there for a long time all together,

if there's anyone that could explain this to me I'd like that very much, if anyone knows more about the steelhead and walleye fishing this time of the year down there, let me know. I've been there but I would like to know more about the place, I should have made some friends down there when I had the change, but people down there seem to just do there thing and that's that.
It's going to be another month before any fish start I fish the river all year there is good smallmouth fishing right now below telegraph rd as for steelhead best bet right now is the discharge from the quarry it pumps cold water into the river it is located at old fort st bridge any early fish tend to hold there

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I started having a lot better luck landing steelhead when I switched to a longer rod @ 9.5ft. It seems to help absorb the shock from those crazy direction changes and thrashing jumps instead of it being on your drag right instantly. I also started doing better when I started to immediately walk down stream after I hooked up. If the fish is upstream of you, your tension will be back into the fish. If the fish is down stream of you your force is pulling the hook out of the fishes open mouth when he head shakes. Also your fighting the fish and the current when your upstream of it. That's the stuff that helped me back in my st marys rapids days.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I started having a lot better luck landing steelhead when I switched to a longer rod @ 9.5ft. It seems to help absorb the shock from those crazy direction changes and thrashing jumps instead of it being on your drag right instantly. I also started doing better when I started to immediately walk down stream after I hooked up. If the fish is upstream of you, your tension will be back into the fish. If the fish is down stream of you your force is pulling the hook out of the fishes open mouth when he head shakes. Also your fighting the fish and the current when your upstream of it. That's the stuff that helped me back in my st marys rapids days.
13 ft lamiglass fun times

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I have a 12ft for bobbers but I cant do it for ticking bottom. Not enough feel. I havnt used a lamiglass though, is it really whippy/slow? Bear in mind Im no pro steelheader, average at best. I had some buddies up north that could catch them out a urinal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 12ft for bobbers but I cant do it for ticking bottom. Not enough feel. I havnt used a lamiglass though, is it really whippy/slow? Bear in mind Im no pro steelheader, average at best. I had some buddies up north that could catch them out a urinal.
I have been using a 13 ft for 25 years I feel naked with out it and my lami is not whippy at all I have a 13 Raven float rod too Iam very impressed with so far we need to hit the Huron this fall i have been fishing steelies on it for 30 years I live right across the street from the river and have boat

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have been using a 13 ft for 25 years I feel naked with out it and my lami is not whippy at all I have a 13 Raven float rod too Iam very impressed with so far we need to hit the Huron this fall i have been fishing steelies on it for 30 years I live right across the street from the river and have boat
My boat only gets put up when the river freezes over

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts

Best month for steel on the Huron is November around thanksgiving I've caught more then any other time of year. The walleye are few n far between even during the spawn , 5-6 years ago there would be so many in there after it closed you could barely steel fish without snagging one. Not sure exactly why they don't use it like they used to but something in there changed. Like another said can be great smallie fishing this time of year and better as temps cool. Always rough fish and pike in the river. If you've always caught eyes outta the Huron we should be asking you for pointers lol besides a stray 1 a year I don't hear about many.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Best month for steel on the Huron is November around thanksgiving I've caught more then any other time of year. The walleye are few n far between even during the spawn , 5-6 years ago there would be so many in there after it closed you could barely steel fish without snagging one. Not sure exactly why they don't use it like they used to but something in there changed. Like another said can be great smallie fishing this time of year and better as temps cool. Always rough fish and pike in the river. If you've always caught eyes outta the Huron we should be asking you for pointers lol besides a stray 1 a year I don't hear about many.
I do decent on the eyes but i have been fishing it for 30 years Iam one of the people responsible for the fish going to Belleville many hours working on a million dollar project the fish ladder hurt my downstream fishing worked with the DNR I set nets at the top of the ladder scale samples on all chrome noted other species using the ladder 22 lb brown and numerouse 50 pluse muskies now we have beavers in the river yes you heard me right beavers tight lines to all post your pics Iam going perchin

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
I do decent on the eyes but i have been fishing it for 30 years Iam one of the people responsible for the fish going to Belleville many hours working on a million dollar project the fish ladder hurt my downstream fishing worked with the DNR I set nets at the top of the ladder scale samples on all chrome noted other species using the ladder 22 lb brown and numerouse 50 pluse muskies now we have beavers in the river yes you heard me right beavers tight lines to all post your pics Iam going perchin
Eyes are not even close to what they were 6 plus years ago not even a minute comparison.. I also been fishing it for close to 30 years to and the eyes are the only thing I've noticed declining in that river. Used to big good run of kings 25 years ago there also I'm sure you remember, seen some Giants caught above the rapids when I was younger. Like you said on seeing the big skis there is a bunch of them and they get lil to no pressure great place for them to grow. There is quite a few beavers on the Huron and on the lower det rvr has a few to most live up under the dyke along the Canadian side.

Any clue on why the eyes don't spawn in there like they used to?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Eyes are not even close to what they were 6 plus years ago not even a minute comparison.. I also been fishing it for close to 30 years to and the eyes are the only thing I've noticed declining in that river. Used to big good run of kings 25 years ago there also I'm sure you remember, seen some Giants caught above the rapids when I was younger. Like you said on seeing the big skis there is a bunch of them and they get lil to no pressure great place for them to grow. There is quite a few beavers on the Huron and on the lower det rvr has a few to most live up under the dyke along the Canadian side.

Any clue on why the eyes don't spawn in there like they used to?
Banana dyke they changed the flow it is hard for fish to find the river the mouth of the Huron in nothing but a duck marsh no current equals no fish the good old run of steel and kings few coho tiger Muskie walleye giant crappie now we get nothing I caught 8 walleye this year usually it was 8 a day and they do still spawn in the river the gobies are eating the eggs so hardly any return because the fry are not making it back to the lake and these damb commerants are eating all of our steel plants

·
Registered
144 Posts
Banana dyke they changed the flow it is hard for fish to find the river the mouth of the Huron in nothing but a duck marsh no current equals no fish the good old run of steel and kings few coho tiger Muskie walleye giant crappie now we get nothing I caught 8 walleye this year usually it was 8 a day and they do still spawn in the river the gobies are eating the eggs so hardly any return because the fry are not making it back to the lake and these damb commerants are eating all of our steel plants
Well gator man you know me I worked at fish tales bait with Chris and Floyd my name is Paul I tyed flies and spawn for them great friends with jigging Mike ,Roger,cubby hole bob ,Howard,Larry bel like it sounds like your one of the original river rats too
and I hate to say I snagged one of these Asian carp about 30 lb fought the damb thing for 32 min the old lady had it in net let go of the net lost fish the net and a $7 rap pals but you are right the river is not producing the way it used too

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
H
It's going to be another month before any fish start I fish the river all year there is good smallmouth fishing right now below telegraph rd as for steelhead best bet right now is the discharge from the quarry it pumps cold water into the river it is located at old fort st bridge any early fish tend to hold there
Mm so this place at old fort st bride, is it the same city, would you tel me the directions, bc I never heard of that place your telling me, also I thought there are steelhead all year around in Below Telegraph

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the reply, now are we talking huron river in flat rock? And that's funny you say that about your pole, I'm about to go buy another steelhead pole next week, maybe I should be getting a longer pole, also are people still using 6 pound test to being in a steelhead lol, when I first started fishing steelhead, I was like there is no way you can bring in a salmon or steelhead of such light line lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol I do hook on the steelhead in flatrock, maybe luck bc what I know about that river is if you are able to caught a salmon or steelhead out of there, they say you're considered a great fisher men lol, no pointer from me tho, I consider myself an amateur still, I use a fly like anyone else down there. Also I hear Steelhead are always in that flatrock dam all year around now the best times to hook one lol don't know,

I did learn to tighten up my drag a lot more when I hook one and not to be so scared to lose him, give a fight back at the fish, someone in at tippy dam thought me that, there was this young man at tippy dam, pulling these steelhead out of that River with in 5 mins no joke, big or small, he was also using 5 pound test, he told showed me to tighten that drag a hold lot and fight it back, the more your scared to lose him, the more you will lose him, lol but anyways any other info you can give me about the steelhead down here by flatrock or even belleville which I never fish before, or anywere else by down here were I live Dearborn, I mean I'll drive 30 mins away lol if I'm gonna make a long drive I'll just drive to tippy dam. Anyone could help?

·
Registered
144 Posts
H

Mm so this place at old fort st bride, is it the same city, would you tel me the directions, bc I never heard of that place your telling me, also I thought there are steelhead all year around in Below Telegraph
South rockwood and no not a year round fishery for chrome the bridge is between north Huron river dr and south Huron river dr on old fort right behind AJ maintenance

1 - 20 of 34 Posts