Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I know this type of thread is on here a lot but I need input for my big purchase for next year.

I am looking at the 2072 war eagle and the 20 foot alaskan. I will be hunting on the detroit river and lake erie. Can the flat bottom handle the 4-6 foot waves? I will also be hitting the islands so I have to be able to get pretty close to them with the boat.

Should I go with a two stroke or a four stroke. I was thinking of going with an e-tech (2 stroke) but it was brought to my attention that in the cold the oil in the two strokes gets thick making the motor run rough or not at all.

Help me make my decision for my big purchase. Any other boats you can suggest?

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly hunting but i figure for the money i'm gonna spend i might have to start fishing. I'm not a big fishin guy though so mainly huntin.

New to the river and lake hunting. Have hunted a couple of the islands around grosse ile.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
My two cents.....if you plan on hitting the lakes at all (i.e. LSC, Erie, Saginaw Bay, etc.) go with the V. If only for flatter water, the flat bottom should work. I happen to be looking as well, and I do a lot of fishing on the lakes too, so I'm headed towards a V. Now....what brand...HMMM :confused:

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
wouldn't even think of the wareagle if i'm gonna hunt the big water. alaskan would be way to go. read alot of threads where guys say the mod-v can't hang with the alaskan....as I'm looking to get one this winter as well for the same reason.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let me know if you need a playmate Maximus!:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Alaskan 20, without a doubt

cold the oil in the two strokes gets thick making the motor run rough or not at all.
...never heard that. What about snowmobiles or snow throwers?

The EPA loves the 4 strokes but I'm staying with 2 strokers till they're banned.
They're lighter, faster, cheaper to buy and maintain.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
no doubt. Yamaha and Honda are probably the best 4 strokes around and the Alaskan and Crestliner Canadians the best big water hulls made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hunt the river often in a mod V and just purchased an 18ft Lund because I want to live to hunt anouther season. The mod V's cannot handel the rough November/December winds on the river and Erie. If you enjoy hunting on calm sunny days, get the mod v. If your a true duck hunter, buy the Lund.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I hunt the river as much as possible, and I use and old aluma craft deep v with a 1965 2 stroke 20 hp Johnson. I run the boat up on the gravel and I can usually fire up that ol' Johnson in any weather (although there is always a can of starting fluid on board).
I wondered about a flat bottom for greater comfort and for fishing, but that river and especially that lake will make you sorry you ventured out at times.

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
can anyone give me idea on how much difference between an 18' alaskan and a 20'? wanting to use this primarily on saginaw bay as a tender next year and trying to get an idea of what i'm looking for. Is there any other boats (brands) out there that are similar.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a 96 18ft Crestiner. It's a side console with a 40 johnson on it. Trim, lights etc. The works. We take it out on LSC when most wouldn't dare. It's been a great boat and handles the water well. My buddy purchased a 16ft Alaskan last year and he loves it as well. V's are the way to go. Much smoother ride and handles the rougher water better. :evil:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Without sounding like I have "2ft-itis", I'd go with the 20'er. Cabela's was selling a "Kodiak" Deep V a couple years back...not sure who made it, but that thing had layout tender/big water boat blind written all over it. It was a tiller model as well.

I was extremely close to purchasing a 16' Sea Ark mod-v last year....and after contemplating taking waves over the front on Erie...decided to hold off. Ended up with a 14' Meyers SuperPro that is an absolute tank of a boat. I figure I'm not going to hunt in 3'ers on Erie anyway, so the 14'er was the best choice for me at the time. Sure...I'd love a bigger boat, but for now, the Meyers is performing nicely.

Sea Nymph makes some awfully rugged aluminum boats as well, but I think if I had a preference, I'd go with an Alumacraft or a Crestliner.

Just my .02

BFG

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have both a 99 polarkraft 20' MV and a '05 20' alaskan (among other duck boats) and the alaskan is the way to go in the waves hands down. I made a six mile run in 6 footers on opening day of deer season (wife thought she was going into labor and I had to get home from camp) and the alsakan did just fine. I would never had tried it in the polarkraft . . . those waves would have folded it up like a taco. On the other hand, the polarkraft is a much better boat for some of the smaller lakes and bays that I hunt, particularly where the water is shallow and the waves don't get much over 3 foot. The alaskan draws lots more water and is a P. in the A. when it gets stuck. I can also pack a lot more stuff in the MV . . . seems like it has more usable space.

I would go with a two stroke hands down. Cheaper, More low end punch, less weight, and the fuel economy on the new ones is getting much better.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Shiawassee_Kid said:
i need a tiller style, no console. wanna be able to stuff a layout on the front.
Man Kid, you and I really need to compare notes on Saturday when we're freezing our A$$es off in the ice ;) because I've kind of pared it down to the Alaskan/Lund too, but figured on an 18' for what I need. I don't have a layout (yet :evil: ) but if I did, I'd probably go with the 20' and throw the sucker inside and motor.....from what I've seen, towing 'em is a pain.

And the best part....my wife is soooo guilty for me having missed out on the North Dakota trip this fall because of her family's health problems, she's almost forcing me to just go buy it, AND to go top of the line...had that conversation just this morning! Man I have it good :cool:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have both a 99 polarkraft 20' MV and a '05 20' alaskan

Now this guy has it covered. Get both and enjoy both...;)

Some day a 20' Lund Alaskian SS tiller WILL end up in my driveway. I'm shooting for 2009. I figured I can justify a new boat every 10 years. I bought a Go Devil setup in 1999, so I will have to wait a couple years to get the lund. It would be nice if someone I knew bought one. Those are the best kind of boats out there, the ones you don't have to pay for and just get to use. :lol:

Here's the only photo of a 20' alaskian I could find. I seen one the other day that had a dodge neon in it. The one I'm talking about is all camoed out.
I could see it now. 2 layout boats across the front pulling a sculling boat... How sweet would that be.

Kevlar

·
Registered
167 Posts
Kid,

I don't think you want a V-bottom, just because I have a rough idea where you will be hunting...I think?

A mod-V is going to be my new one for next season, 17-20 ft. War Eagle I believe is what I'm going with. The tiller part is a big ??? for me yet, have to wait and see the layout of the new boat and then I'll be able to tell what will fit and what won't.

A mod-v is plenty enough to handle 2-3 foot waves, any bigger you shouldn't be out there. But thats just my opinion.

Also, the v-bottoms are nice, but wait until you try to pull that layout boat back into it when your done hunting.

My friend has a 17' Crestliner V_bottom...
We've tried, I'd rather sleep in.:lol:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts