Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes i know its early for all the vex questions lol anyways....

ive never fished with one but ive read a lot on them, this year i plan to get a vex FL 8

How big of a radius does it work? Like when i put my whole down does it do much more then the 8 inches?

also for someone fishing mostly shallow water is it fine for that or does it need to be in deeper water?

Now is there anything beyond that i need? ive read of different tranduscers and stuff will it be good with whats standard on it?

thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an FL8 and never go on the ice w/o it anymore...

You'll have no problems using it in shallow water. I've used mine as shallow as 5FOW without any issues. Just make sure to turn the sensitivity down.

As far as the diameter that you'll pick up, I'm not positive off the top of my head, but you'll definitely get larger than the 8" diameter of the hole. If you hop on vexilar.com, you can download pdf versions of the manuals for each of their models, so you can choose from there and I would think it would have that information in there.

I've never done any add-ons with mine, just used the standard equipment, but if you ever want to use it on soft water you may need to pick up a different transducer. Again, I've never done the research on this though.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
If at all in the budget spend a few extra bucks and get one of the vexs with the zoom. the fl 18 and the fl 20 both offer this option and it is a great option when fishing the bottom.
I own the fl 20 with dual beam and love the unit.
If your in the area and want to try it with me when we get ice I am up for it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awsome, thanks.

i checked that site out also and it looks good,
is that s cable or whatever to turn the power down really nessary? i will be in 5ft of water a bit

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I fish with an Fl-8, have for years. The size of your area is determined by your cone angle and water depth. I believe the standard cone angle on the unit is 19 degrees, so the deeper you are, a larger portion of the bottom is covered. For example, in close to 20' of water, I believe your area coverd is about 6 feet in diameter.

You can get a transducer that I think is 9 degrees as well.

I have never felt the need to upgrade to the bottom zoom, if you fish with it enough, you will learn to interpet the signals and "see" fish in the bottom band where you lose some detail (3"-4" inches off the bottom, to the bottom)

·
Registered
622 Posts
make sure you get the 19 degree transducer. different packages come with different transducers. you want the 19. i bought an S cable for my FL-8SE and i regret it. its too strong. i used it maybe twice. i also fish shallow water 90% of the time (20' or less). ive used mine as shallow as 4'-5' like the other guys and i never had any trouble. you dont need to buy anything else.

one thing, if you know someone who works in a bakery, (at a grocery store, etc.) they purchase fillings and stuff in 3 1/2 gallon buckets. get one with a lid. it makes a perfect carrying case. on the ice, put the lid on the bucket and set the vex on the lid. it works out great! (im not 100% sure but i think that wont work with the "genz pack", (the blue one) they are shaped different.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts