Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 41 87.2%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you think spooks more? The Infrared is obviously more subtle but the red lights stay on for a long time to get the shot. Anyone know of any good articles or tests on this subject?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I would think a flash, however I've used both and never seen evidence of either one spooking a deer. I prefer the IR now just in case.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first year using a trail CAM and in 6 weeks of use at night I have seen many deer looking right at the CAM and acting spooky. I have it set to take 3 pics 15s apart and then a 1 minute delay. The moultrie does make a small audible click and it is possible the deer are reacting to that sound and not the red light.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a IR maultrie, and I think the next time I am at cabelas I'll get to of the flash for the price of the one IR. My brother gets awsome pics with his at night and he has had return customers in the order of old does and 3.5 year old bucks if they come back by time after time I would say it is ok to flash......But only one opinion here. Regardless they are a blast to have in the woods.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
No difference in my experience. Both can have a negative effect at times. Depends on the individual deer and its attitude at the time, more than anything else. I've gotten too many whiteflash pics where the deer show little or no reaction to believe it matters. Sometimes it makes them more curious as to what they saw, and they will come take a closer look. IR did open up another profitable manufacturers market for those who think it necessary though, so the option is there for those who prefer it.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
The studies done on this and wildlife photographers agree that many deer do react negatively to flash. The studies found that older deer react more negatively than younger deer. On average, older deer show up less after they are flashed the first time. This doesnt mean that its set in stone and they will get spooked 100% of the time, but once is enough for me. It amazes me the lengths hunters will go to remain undetected by deer, and then go out and set up a giant flashlight in thier favorite deer spot.:confused:

With all the studies done recently on deer vision, it makes sense that an IR camera would have much less of a negative effect on deer. Deer dont see well on the red end of the light spectrum (this is why hunter orange/red has worked for years).

Whichever camera you use, repeated visits to the camera to change cards or batteries, probably does more harm than the camera itself! Just my .02!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have never had a pic where it revealed the deer was spooked with a white flash.. I use my IR Cams in areas where there might be other hunters that might steal the cam if they saw the flash. Or where I hunt during the week the property owners have 10 acre parcels and I have a couple cams that might bother the neighbor if he has a flash pointed at his house all fall.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have used a Moultrie I-40 on movie mode for the last 4 months. I have a nice 9 point that twice has walked by when the IR is going off at night and both times was definitely spooked and left immediately. About 50% of the deer at night stare at the IR when it is illuminated. The biggest buck seems like the only one who wants nothing to do with that IR, maybe that's why he is the biggest. Last year I had a great 10 point stand and pose as several shots from a flash were fired his way. He could care less about the flash.
I agree that it depends on the individual deers personality, as to how they react.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I do not use camera's in my primary hunting spots, I put them on trails and scrapes in other area's. I did leave a flash camera up on some property we own that I do not hunt, it was up for a couple years (batteries would be dead 3/4 of the time) over a mineral lick. From the first month untill I stopped using it the amount of pics really went downhill. I think the deer got sick of that flash going off every time they visited. These deer do not get a lot of exposure to human traffic etc, so that could play into it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I started using 2 wildview extremeII flasher this summer. I found each time i arrived to change out cards many of the same young 1.5 bucks appeared time after time. After some time at my traditional hunting spots i removed the cameras felt I seen all i needed to see. Recently I relocated one camera to a suspected trail I believed larger bucks were using that i was missing. indeed the camera did not disappointed me 3 8pt's and a 10pt were captured one time each within the first 2weeks of setup but I have not captured them again on the camera so i pulled it, this past weekend youth hunt my nephew harvested one of the 8pts, a second 8pt and the 10pt also should up at the same time but one of the 8pts presented the best shot.
I am not convinced these do not spook them that is why I pulled the camera. The other strange thing is the evening the 8pt was taken the 10pt did not use the trail the camera was set on he used another that lead to the same food plot. So I am not sure if all of this is just coincidence or not. For me only time will tell because i set up a great ambush stand along this new trail site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts