Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if I can use a Vexilar FL18 and a Humminbird 698ci hd si in the same shanty without causing interference to either unit?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thank you. I would like to use the 698 for its GPS and then use the flasher mode on it to fish with, but we already have a Vexilar FL18 that we want to continue to usend as well. Switching frequency sounds like something theft could be done with the 698. I'm just not sure if it could be done when it has an iceducer connected instead of a regular transducer...... I might have to call humminbird and ask them a few questions it sounds like. Thanks again for the info.

50,995 Posts
Ok, thank you. I would like to use the 698 for its GPS and then use the flasher mode on it to fish with, but we already have a Vexilar FL18 that we want to continue to usend as well. Switching frequency sounds like something theft could be done with the 698. I'm just not sure if it could be done when it has an iceducer connected instead of a regular transducer...... I might have to call humminbird and ask them a few questions it sounds like. Thanks again for the info.
My ICE-55 has 2 frequencies... I'm going to go out on a limb, without looking on the 'bird website, and say the ice ducer would work with both.

is the 698 a SI unit?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My ICE-55 has 2 frequencies... I'm going to go out on a limb, without looking on the 'bird website, and say the ice ducer would work with both.

is the 698 a SI unit?
It is a SI unit (698ci hd si). On the humminbird website they list the xi 9 20 ice ducer as being single/dual beam 200/83 kHz. I don't know enough about them right now to know if I can switch between the two frequencies or not. I've had some decent luck with humminbird's customer service so I might send them an email asking that question.
I really appreciate all the real world feedback though. Thanks

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got off the phone with humminbird's customer service. They said the iceducer for my unit (xi 9 20 & 698ci hd si)can be switched between 200kHz and 83 kHz. They said that switching kHz and getting more distance between the vexilar and humminbird are the two best ways to reduce interference. They were very helpful.
I'm still very interested in hearing if anyone has experience with these two units.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use the wide angle on my 597ci and my ice 55. The narrow beam has more detail but it has never mattered to me. Its not like you're trying to mark a walleye hugging bottom as you're moving.
Good to know, thanks. A friend of mine has an ice 55 and he really liked it. He said he and another guy use that and an FL18 in the same shanty. I think the ICE series runs at different kHz than regular humminbird units that are converted for ice fishing.
I really appreciate all the replies this thread is getting. I keep learning more and more.

· Registered
5,193 Posts
Can't say I've ever had a problem. Fished in the middle of a bunch of guys last week that were all using electronics. Pushed the gain button a couple of times and bingo all interference was gone. Boy do I LUV my vex.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
How large the cone angle gets/the deeper the water. Is where sounding cones can cross and cause trouble. If your fishing 10 ft of water at 200Hz you are only talking a 3 to 3.5ft of cone angle at the very bottom. So, most units do not show a problem till you get to 16+ f.o.w. with near by units/fisherman.
Gain can help, but you loose detail and response speed since you are processing the signal more which takes milliseconds, but still you are filtering the true pure signal.
If you are only looking for fish, it is no problem. If you are jiggin/fishing to catch each mark. You would want the speed IMHO

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How large the cone angle gets/the deeper the water. Is where sounding cones can cross and cause trouble. If your fishing 10 ft of water at 200Hz you are only talking a 3 to 3.5ft of cone angle at the very bottom. So, most units do not show a problem till you get to 16+ f.o.w. with near by units/fisherman.
Gain can help, but you loose detail and response speed since you are processing the signal more which takes milliseconds, but still you are filtering the true pure signal.
If you are only looking for fish, it is no problem. If you are jiggin/fishing to catch each mark. You would want the speed IMHO
That's a really good point, i hadn't even thought of that. The vex I use haa a 12 degree cone angle so if I'm understanding it right that means that in the 20 to 30ft if water I normally fish in it should be around 10ft or so of coverage at the most.
I didn't realize that the gain could make the signal "slower" either. It does make sense though, thank you.
Now I have something to blame those missed bites on :)

· Registered
2,743 Posts
The gain is basically like a filter. Similar to your stereo. The more you filter, the more you lose.
200hz cone is typically 1/3 the depth at the bottom surface. So 30 f.o.w. would be around a 10ft wide cone/sound sample at the bottom surface. Tapering to zero at the transducer.
I still believe my older Lowrance flashers worked much better for my needs than any of the high end LCD's I've used since. I started with paper graphs back in the early 80's matching/checking the flashers against what the paper would show me. Paper was just so SLOW.
40 mph and I could mark fish in the weeds in 8 to 12 f.o.w with my Lowrance flashers. Never saw that with any brand LCD at those speeds/conditions. Slower/lower speeds yes.
Also marking true hard bottom at any speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.