Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

FL - fall mullet run fishing

875 13
Would like to try fishing the “mullet run” on Florida’s east coast this fall.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge or recommendations. Guides, how to, lodging, etc. Anything that would help in the planning of trip.

Probably do a guide for a day, then rent a boat, and give it a try ourselves.

Jim
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Your going to target a baitfish?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Reactions: motoscoota
No recommendations, but I have heard it is fun and you never know what you will catch

You fish for the fish that eat the mullet.
Absolutely target baitfish!
Light tackle - tons of action - great bycatch - a freezer full of bait - and salty snackers for the smoker;)

If you don't do mullet, sardines, mackerel, herring at least once in life yer missing out!

Your plan is good to go with a charter and then a rental. Wish I could help with a guide but I do this kinda fishing in the pan handle.

Smoked mullet tastes fine. I like smoked whitefish a little better, but not much.
Would like to try fishing the “mullet run” on Florida’s east coast this fall.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge or recommendations. Guides, how to, lodging, etc. Anything that would help in the planning of trip.

Probably do a guide for a day, then rent a boat, and give it a try ourselves.

Jim
Reactions: HRCHLab and Shoeman
It’s on my bucket list also, if you’ve not heard of this run check this out:

Reactions: Grinnell
If that doesn't make you grab yer stiff rod, nothing will!!!

I'll never forget the day I turned a sardine into a thresher shark out in Santa Cruz. Only fished for a couple hours and the freezer got its fill. It was my 2nd time fishing on a kayak! It's they day I learned why a gaff & a bat are must-haves😅
Reactions: stickman1978
Ah I see

Mullet are hard to catch on hook and line. They eat seaweed. You are better off throwing a net.

I have heard they fight good for their size.

I know someone that could fill a flat bottom boat in a night near Tampa. (throwing a net)

Good luck.
When I speak of the “mullet run”, I’m talking about all the predator fish that follow there migration, and prey on them.
Tarpon, Jacks, Snook, sharks, all these great fighting game fish come to the shallows and beach areas to feed on the mullet.

From what I understand, it’s a great time to fish.
Mullet are hard to catch on hook and line. They eat seaweed. You are better off throwing a net.

I have heard they fight good for their size.

I know someone that could fill a flat bottom boat in a night near Tampa. (throwing a net)

Good luck.
You can catch them on small hooks baited with pillsbury crescent roll dough. Fried mullet are amazing when fresh. Fight great on a noodle rod and light line.
Yea this...fried mullet is good stuff.
Mullet run is just starting here in the Sebastian area. Really no need for a guide, just pull off A1A, over the dune to the beach and kiss your rotator cuffs bye-bye. Sharkin is prime right now. Tarpon, snook, blues, huge jacks and smacks are thick as well. Mornings at day break you’ll see a violent explosion of predation that few have experienced.
PM me if you want any further clarification.
Here one from yesterday morning.
Water Shorts Rock fishing Hat Natural environment
Check ur messages
Mullet run is just starting here in the Sebastian area. Really no need for a guide, just pull off A1A, over the dune to the beach and kiss your rotator cuffs bye-bye. Sharkin is prime right now. Tarpon, snook, blues, huge jacks and smacks are thick as well. Mornings at day break you’ll see a violent explosion of predation that few have experienced.
PM me if you want any further clarification.
Here one from yesterday morning.
View attachment 787712
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.