Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,097 Posts
Some of the shortest recoveries I had were when I was using the smallest three blade fixed head I have ever used, the replaceable blade model Sonic 100gr 7/8" wide made by American Broadhead Company located in Milan, MI at the time. I was having tuning issues with the Mathews and that little broadhead flew like the proverbial dart for me.

I killed two bucks with that little broadhead, both walked off at the shot with essentially no reaction, then dropped dead within 60 yards. It was as if they didn't know they had been hit, they just heard some sound, flinched, and after a few seconds casually walked away.
I only used them the one season and it was back to wider fixed blades or mechanicals, and also panicked death runs resulting into longer blood trails.

Chew on this for awhile, is bigger and/or wider always better when it comes to blood trails ?

Does the initial impact from a wider fixed blade or a wide cut mechanical result into longer blood trails because the deer panicked when it felt the broadheads impact ?

All things considered would a blood trail be easier to follow if the deer was walking, vs running ?

From my experiences and judged by the reaction I have seen is that an accurately placed, extremely sharp broadhead, (emphasis on both) in a smaller version might just lead to more recoveries and better blood trails, gut shots and and extremely poor hits excluded.
Proper waiting before taking up the trail is no doubt the most important decision one can make at that time, regardless of the size of the broadhead used, even mechanicals.

Don't push them and they won't go far if mortally/critically injured.
Very true. They can go damn far in just a few seconds on a dead run. If they don't know what happened they take a few jumps and walk until they get weak. Probably same duration for both but far different distance.

The small, sharp head makes a lot of sense. As would the deers alertness at the shot.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Some of the shortest recoveries I had were when I was using the smallest three blade fixed head I have ever used, the replaceable blade model Sonic 100gr 7/8" wide made by American Broadhead Company located in Milan, MI at the time. I was having tuning issues with the Mathews and that little broadhead flew like the proverbial dart for me.

I killed two bucks with that little broadhead, both walked off at the shot with essentially no reaction, then dropped dead within 60 yards. It was as if they didn't know they had been hit, they just heard some sound, flinched, and after a few seconds casually walked away.
I only used them the one season and it was back to wider fixed blades or mechanicals, and also panicked death runs resulting into longer blood trails.

Chew on this for awhile, is bigger and/or wider always better when it comes to blood trails ?

Does the initial impact from a wider fixed blade or a wide cut mechanical result into longer blood trails because the deer panicked when it felt the broadheads impact ?

All things considered would a blood trail be easier to follow if the deer was walking, vs running ?

From my experiences and judged by the reaction I have seen is that an accurately placed, extremely sharp broadhead, (emphasis on both) in a smaller version might just lead to more recoveries and better blood trails, gut shots and and extremely poor hits excluded.
Proper waiting before taking up the trail is no doubt the most important decision one can make at that time, regardless of the size of the broadhead used, even mechanicals.

Don't push them and they won't go far if mortally/critically injured.
I would argue even gut or liver shots a smaller fixed blade might be better cuz then they wont feel it and run as much. Further they run on those shots the less chance there is for recovery.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Blood trails are overrated. As many here have found out if a cut on contact fixed blade broadhead is used with the proper placement the deer often walk away and drop within eyesight instead of running and bounding for a quarter mile.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Qad is an amazing head, i have shot thru bull elk with phenomial blood trails. But i agree, the sharpness is thee key. Set up a rubber band test, a taught rubber band is very similar to blood vessel. Drill a hole large enough for broadhead to fit thru 6 or 8"square pc of wood. Tac nails in around the hole. Criss cross 6 or 8 rubber bands on nails and make sure they all go over hole. Push your broadhead thru the hole hitting rubber bands. If most of them break, your good. If your head only pushes them aside, that is what will happen on an animal. You MUST be able to sever arteries or you wont have good blood consistently. Cut arteries and you will have a great trail, push them aside and much less blood. Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,576 Posts
Have you actually done any target shooting with those new broadheads yet to see if they fly as true as the Slick Tricks? If so, I'd like to hear how that went. Also, how much did you pay for them and how many are in a package? I might like to try them out myself.
I purchased them direct (6) to take advantage of the free shipping, they come three to a pack. 1-3/16-inch 4-Blade Fixed Broadheads | Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads
Haven't shot them yet but with their guarantee (If you use Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads and do not experience better flight, more penetration, and quicker recoveries, let us know, and we will refund your order. That is the Tooth of the Arrow guarantee.) and reviews I've read I'm not at all concerned that they will fly every bit as good as my SlickTricks, in fact my SlickTricks are listed in the classifieds as I type this.
NIB SlickTrick Magnum 1 1/8" 100gr. Broadheads | Michigan Sportsman - Online Michigan Hunting and Fishing Resource (michigan-sportsman.com)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've had some wicked blood trails from the 125 grain 3 blade muzzys. I take the blades out grab them with a pair of vise grips and run em on a leather strop with a medium compound until the edges are wicked sharp. Bonus with muzzy is they really do destroy bones with that chisel tip. The Magnus stinger 4 blade hand sharpened will spit a dandy blood trail as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

41 - 47 of 47 Posts