Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you are mechanical fans.. i for one am not just personal experiences with them that were not good. Soooo...I’m looking to hear from some of the fixed blade guys on their experiences with fixed heads and the blood trails. I posted a different thread on an issue I’ve had with slick tricks and want to find a new fixed blade broad head for next year. all posts regarding fixed heads would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Can't say for sure that they give the best blood trail but I have been happy with Magnus buzzcut with the bleeder blades. Plus they come with a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee.

·
Registered
920 Posts
This thread is not really asking a simple question. Blood trails are ALWAYS a product of 3 factors.

1. Shot placement (even the best broadhead wont cause massive bleeding if you gut shoot them or otherwise dont hit a major bleeder)

2. 2 holes (a pass through allows the hydraulic system to put the blood on the ground rather than filling the chest cavity of the animal.)

3. Sharpness (did the blades push the bleedy parts out of the way or did it slice through them?)

The cheapest Walmart Allen head is sharp and well placed and passing through will produce a better blood trail than a high dollar, dull head, shot in the loin or guts.

To that end, I test a lot of heads. I devote a few season to them so I can give clients solid recommendations before moving onto the next head.

I wrote this. It might help you.

https://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/446/woodsman-broadhead-results

·
Registered
18,302 Posts
i don't fuss with how much blood a head may or may not produce.
I want the head to go where I point it firstly.
Accuracy and durability and precise as possible shot placement covered? There will be a dead deer I can locate after.

With two blades a slice can touch and reduce blood exiting. Not a big deal as hide flexes enough some blood will exit if a heart is pumping it out.
Fat and other material can block a hole too.
Adding another blade can help. Bleeders were added to certain designs to reduce hole closure.
But if you have a two blade that goes where you want it and performs as designed, why change it?

Planing can be a bigger issue. If it's not , celebrate the design.
Otherwise , a well constructed three blade might be worth your time.
A blood trail does not lead to a dead deer if the hunter and or broadhead did not do it's job.
How many cases have encountered "good" blood , but no dead deer?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6 of my last 8 deer were double lung shots where the deer expired within 120 yards. The blood was just very sporadic.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I suggest you watch this video on blood trails. He is right on in my experience.

The best thing I have found is sharp broadhead, heavy arrows and good shot placement. My experience has been that with those 3, the deer will run a short distance, stop and die. This eliminates tracking as I usually see them die. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
6 of my last 8 deer were double lung shots where the deer expired within 120 yards. The blood was just very sporadic.
How well do you see blood? Are you sure you are not missing some. All blood is sporadic to my eye. It took me years to figure that out. Your story sounds familiar to me.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How well do you see blood? Are you sure you are not missing some. All blood is sporadic to my eye. It took me years to figure that out. Your story sounds familiar to me.
lol... i don’t see quite as well as i used to but I’m sure that’s not the issue. Two of the deer were in snow. I’m not saying there is no blood. I’m saying it’s very minute. Especially within 15-20 yards of impact. Then it’s sporadic. Then of course the last 15 yards itis a homicide scene

·
Super Moderator
35,359 Posts
I dunno man... have been through fixed and mechanical blades over the years at our camp and the only thing that is consistent is inconsistent blood trails. Thats for both fixed and mechanical. The bigger cuts do seem to have an edge over smaller. It seems to have more to do with the exact shot placement (fat, bone, no bone, high/low) and how fast the deer runs than what brand or blade configuration is used.

Shoot what shoots best and make sure its sharp.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Ground blind or tree? Higher exit wounds? Somethings a Bh design cannot fix. Entrance and exit, thru the heart, will spare you that pic. Blood was very sparse, 1 3/8 grim reaper. Arrow was soaked. Heard him crash close so recovery wasn’t an issue Exit was through the elbow and I believe hampered the spoor from reaching the ground. Like others have said hit them good and you will find them. I firmly believe if this was a few inches back it would have been a Manson. Spend your time on tuning for perfect flight. 29.25” draw at 60#, 387gr arrow. I used to shoot Thunderhead 100 and still think they are among the best.
557C8169-0207-467C-A9D6-2FE3B8B057EC.jpeg
ADC2A8E8-096A-477C-8169-1FF6E145A75F.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
35,359 Posts
Ground blind or tree? Higher exit wounds? Somethings a Bh design cannot fix. Entrance and exit, thru the heart, will spare you that pic. Blood was very sparse, 1 3/8 grim reaper. Arrow was soaked. Heard him crash close so recovery wasn’t an issue Exit was through the elbow and I believe hampered the spoor from reaching the ground. Like others have said hit them good and you will find them. I firmly believe if this was a few inches back it would have been a Manson. Spend your time on tuning for perfect flight. 29.25” draw at 60#, 387gr arrow. I used to shoot Thunderhead 100 and still think they are among the best. View attachment 623259 View attachment 623261
Mine this year was hit very similar to that, maybe a little higher exit. Grim reaper crossbow head (I think the ones I have are advertised as 1 1/2", 3 blade). Excellent, stand-up straight, walking blood trail starting within a couple ft of impact.

Similar wounds, different blood trail experiences. Shot one last year with the same head and a little further back. Decent blood but a lot more effort than this year's and there was snow. Daylight and darkness may have played a roll in appearance though too.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I agree, I really struggle to see blood in my old age.
I finally figured that out a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Shot placement is where you can get a decent blood trail. I never worry about a Blood Trail as I am looking for a complete pass thru shots so for me practice is at the top of my list if I can make the Shot the deer have all gone down within 75 yards the farthest most in less than 50 and I have only used the Magnus Stinger 2 blade 125! And My bow does not shoot much more than maybe 230 FPS and is a 1997 model Year Bow. Own 2 since 2003. Does all I need as well as I shoot a 2514 Arrow... large diameter arrow. But I only take high percentage shots; broadside or slightly Quartering Away otherwise I will PASS! In my 25 plus years it has worked for me. I just head in the direction the deer headed in. None have not be recovered! But each does their thing But as most things in archery / bow hunting we all have choices.
Newaygo1

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I feel with age comes temperament, I personally am less apt to panic if the blood is weak. Confidence in your setup and process weigh heavy here as well. I used a Magnus buzz cut on a finishing shot one year and it flew perfect and buried in the offside shoulder but even with the bleeders it was a slit. Deer was spine hit so cannot comment on blood just the resulting wound. Not sure how it would bleed. The entry of the Reaper was more impressive to be honest and Reaper entries are not spectacular, it’s the pass through and exit damage that is wicked. Match the cut size and blade angle to your setup. I use 1 3/8 for the 60# and 1 3/4 for the 70# setup both arrows weigh about the same, heavy bow is over 300fps, have not chronographed the lighter one yet. If you already have an accurate broadhead stick with it and just work in tune and shooter accuracy. Have confidence and KILL!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have shot several different broadheads through the years, fixed and mechanical. I switched back to good old Muzzy's a few years ago. I had mixed results with expandables. Muzzy's have been around for a long time. I'm back to shooting the same head I used 35 years ago. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Muzzy's are also WAYYYY cheaper than most mechanicals.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses and videos. Much appreciated

·
Registered
18,302 Posts
If I missed it , my apology... But never trust a broadhead to be razor sharp till you confirm it.
Debate can be stimulated over the sharpest edge possible vs a more serrated edge and how a wound can bind or not bind , but blood letting can be better with the sharpest edge.
If you've ever cut yourself and it "bound" easy vs refused to quit bleeding you have an example.
Regardless , have what you want as long as it is not dull or having a rolled wire edge.

Magnified , even many sharp edges are jagged , so that's covered IF strumming an artery cuts it better with a jagged edge. So I've trended toward as sharp as I can get an edge. Even stropping them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts