Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fixed blade by far. I've shot alot of different broadheads at alot of different animals and I say fixed blade. Mechanicals would be fine for turkeys or small deer but for larger or tougher animals I wouldn't recommend them. I have had success with mechanical broadheads on nice bucks, actually, knock on wood, I've never lost one with either mechanical or fixed blade but I got pass throughs with fixed blade heads on the boar and BOTH black bears I shot.
So my question to you is....what will you be hunting? Boars and bears? Or birds and bucks?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have shot both Muzzys and rages....I have had no complaints with either...I have been very successfull deer hunting with both but I have got a few of my friends hooked on rages and have seen some huge entry and exit holes and by far better blood trials with the rages...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Asking that question has started many Camp Dicussions, fights, and lead to broken friendships......:lol:

The range of broadheads and thier specific applications is endless depending on your intended target as Cast&Blast stated.

I consider them a tool for what you are attempting to accomplish.

Example you dont take a .22 hunting for Elk.

That said, in my experience, and hunting/testing over the years I tend to lean towards fixed for Deer & larger. They are followed by some hand sharpening, and they are sharp enough that they scare me.

I have used, and still have some, "Patriot Broadheads" They are no longer in production though, and I only have a few left. I have been testing, and have found Magus a viable replacement for my loss of production "Patriots"
A strong Kudos to Magnus, is that they were pretty dang sharp out of the box.

Secondary back ups to Fixed is replaceable blades.

I have used Thunderheads, and CrossFires, but have since ceased use of the Cross Fire due to the short hieght of the heads themselves.

Now this if my preferecne, but I learned all this in the opposite of My statement. I started in the 80's with the Repalceable Blades, and then over the years learning more of what works for me, and have gradually switched to the Fixed.

I have not and do not use Mechanical.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
As long as you can get them to fly right, I would take a fixed blade over a mechanical every time.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I go with my gut on that given day...

Windy day....Mech..
Kind of a thick setup.... fixed head
longer shots...mech
close up shots...fixed head

I find myself nocking a mech head (spitfire) more often

·
Registered
138 Posts
I personally have shot both fixed blade and mechanical broadheads and will never shoot a mechanical ever again do not try a quartering away shot (broadside only) tried it and lost a nice wall hanger now I've taken this exact same shot with a fixed blade and have never lost a deer.. just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have shot Wasp Jak-Hammers since 1997 and have never lost a deer. I shoot 70# FMJ'S, when I have to shoot under 65# (due to age) I will probably shoot fixed heads.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Both work fine and I would no problem using either on any size animal.

Over the past few years I have shot mostly rage with great success. I shot a couple packs of the Tekkens and they also worked good. I also always carry montecs.

Losing a deer has nothing to do with the your broadheads.

I love quartering away shots with a rage. Almost cant miss.

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
My common answer to this question is that it depends on the speed of your bow. Mechanicals were invented out of necessity to circumvent wind planing due to increases in speed. Sooner or later standard fixed blade broadheads will wind plane at a high enough speed.
If your speed allows you to shoot a standard fixed blade, I think this would be your best option. If not, you would need to go to a more aerodynamic (expensive) fixed or expandable.
So really what is "best" for one hunter, may not be best for everyone.
Bottom line - I have never met a broadhead that is "deer friendly"! :lol:
Most shot out of a well tuned bow will do the trick.
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
I shoot mechanicals, NAP Spitfires, and have never had one let me down. I've made some shots that let me down but the broadheads have always done what they are designed to do. They fly dead on with my field points with no extra tuning or adjusting of the bow and that is a very nice luxury to have. After shooting them for over a decade now (man that makes me feel old....) I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

I'm not saying that I think mechanicals are better than fixed, all I'm saying is that I'm smart enough to know what works and for me my setup has worked great.

·
Registered
366 Posts
70lbs and 100 grain 3 blade good old fashioned Muzzys. Shoulder shots, neck shots, spine shots, vital shots. They put deer down.

·
Premium Member
9,602 Posts
I shoot montecs. They fly great and I can resharpen them. I shot 5 deer with the same arrow and broad head. I finally retired it.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The best broadhead is the one which flys truest out of your bow and cleanly slices open the heart of your game. For me that's a mechanical, for you and your bow you will need to shoot both to determine whic is best for you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mechanical broad heads loose kinetic energy upon striking the animal when the blades deploy. A cut on contact fixed blade will penetrate better no matter what the advertisements say. For are average shots 25 yds and in, a fixed blade will fly just fine. If you're out west shooting Antelope at 60 yds it maybe a different story.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I spend a lot of time stalking thick brush and have found that fixed blades are a must for me. All the mechanicals I've tried have a bad habit of opening up while I'm stalking. I've even gotten fixed blades stuck in branches!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts