Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I have discussed if it's legal to continue fishing with a limit in the livewell. I posted the question on the DNR site, and here's their response...

Customer (Gary W) - 04/13/2007 11:24 AM
I am fishing for walleye with two friends. We catch a total of 15
fish, our limit. Can we continue to fish, replacing smaller fish in our
livewell with larger fish, never passing the 15 fish limit?

Response (DNR - Theresa Pohl) - 04/16/2007 03:13 PM
Walleye limits; Technically, if you have your limit of fish in a
livewell, then as soon as you take the next fish into your possession you
have exceeded your limit. So, the best way to handle this is to hold
four fish in your livewell, keep fishing until you're ready to leave, and
keep your fifth (last) fish on your "last cast".

·
Registered
721 Posts
Technically yes, you are in violation if you continue to fish with a limit. That's why once you've boxed a limit you start to fish for rock bass and sheephead. If one of those pesky walleyes just happen to get hooked, not much you can do about that!

However, upgrading the fish after you have a limit would be a good way to get a ticket if you got checked. Best to just keep the fish you have and toss the rest back.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
1fish said:
That's why once you've boxed a limit you start to fish for rock bass and sheephead. If one of those pesky walleyes just happen to get hooked, not much you can do about that!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that there's funny right there!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I personally think that needs to be changed. As long as you don't have any over the limit in cooler/livewell you should be able to cull or still catch and release.JMO. But am glad I read this thread because a time or too many I have done this.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
we did this yesterday...the bite WAS ON at the rencen and we had 14...so fish number 15 and 16 were released...the wind came up strong..we kept fish number 17 and ran for home. I never want to argue an interpretation of the law with a CO....remember all ties go to the house!!!....andy

·
Registered
174 Posts
1fish said:
That's why once you've boxed a limit you start to fish for rock bass and sheephead. If one of those pesky walleyes just happen to get hooked, not much you can do about that!
Not much you can do about the ticket you will get if you are seen by the DNR. Well, except pay it.:tdo12: :sad: As much as they need the money I doubt they will be sympathetic.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Whitetail70 said:
I personally think that needs to be changed. As long as you don't have any over the limit in cooler/livewell you should be able to cull or still catch and release.JMO. But am glad I read this thread because a time or too many I have done this.
If they changed it most guys would do just fine. There would be some guys throwing back smaller dead fish or taking them from a dry cooler and changing them up.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Don't they do that in tournaments?? I always hear of people in tournaments catching their limits, then culling smaller fish for bigger fish.

Anyways, i don't see why you couldn't continue to fish and c&r, have done that a lot on lake erie.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don't they do that in tournaments?? I always hear of people in tournaments catching their limits, then culling smaller fish for bigger fish.

That's what I was thinking, If you're allowed to cull in tournaments why wouldn't you be able to do it in any other type of fishing...

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only problem i have with being able to cull fish is once a fish is caught its mortality rate jumps up, imagine a fish thats in a livewell for 3 hours than is released, i bet more will end up dead than actually survive. Plus theres the weekend joes who will throw back dead fish. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
OK don't most tournaments weight in a daily limit of 5 for two anglers? So they never ahev more then 6 on or maybe 7 in the case of a double. Still way below a two person limit. The second a "extra" fish is in the boat, you are OVER the limit. PERIOD. Color it what you want but it will stand in court. Go ahead and try it!:D

Most Salmon tourneys are big fish and biggest 5 or 10??? of a legal boat limit.

In Canada (Ontario), you limit is the first fish caught, No culling allowed. My dad a few years back had 5 walleyes on the ice. He threw back around another 5. Land and Force??? was near by and watching him. After they arrested a husband and wife for way over limit they talked with my dad and gave him a warning. The said they could arrest him also because he had caught more then his limit. They told him first 6 walleye caught no matter what the size was then.

Skinner

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
For Walleye tourneys you are correct. However, for Bass tournaments, there is usually only one angler, or if there are two, they are each keeping their own limits. They catch their 5 and cull all day.

Personally, I have always just kept one spot open, just in case. We had to use it on Sunday. We caught our 10th fish (two guys) and let him go. Then we caught another 6 fish which we also let go. The 7th looked like he was not going to make it, so we kept him (for our tenth that we kept). We continued to fish and just kept throwing them back.

As long as you are not stopped with more than your limit in your posession, they would have a tough time making that stick. I would fight the ticket, that's for sure.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
This is how I feel about it all if your fishing some kind of tournament go ahead and cull but if you out fishing I feel there is no reason to cull because you know what the smallest fish is you wanna keep so as soon as you catch it and if it's under size then what you planned on keeping the fish should be thrown backand not put in the live well because like young guns stated the mortality rate goes way up and I learned this from my own mistakes on this one.. I know that some people want to try diffrent baits and thats fine but to keep going out and catching 50 fish as some say they do just so they can brag about it you got to ask yourself why..

I know you all know me and how many fish I catch during the summer and sure I could catch fish all day long "BUT WHY", because the law says you can come on, everything does not begin and end with the law comon sence should be your guide so why do any undue damage to the fish if there is no need to because you already caught your limit it's time to go home instead of catching fish your not planning on keeping..

Here is my point as river fisherman what happens to a walleye when he is yanked up from 40' of water air blader ring a bell to any one, Just say one fish dies from a fishing trip where one boat catches say 50 fish add that up per boat per trip a year and it adds up fast.. I guess if the fish are being caught shallow it wont be as harm full but It's just how I feel about it all you can all do what you want because the law lets you but thats just how I feel.. All I wanted to do was have you think for a moment and see if that makes any sence to you like it does me.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew this would get some reaction when I posted it. I guess we should be happy that we're fishing in a place that will provide a limit of walleye.

For all of you worried about limiting-out, I can provide phone numbers for my fishing buddies. With them in your boat, your limit worries will be over. :lol:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have to believe that if you have a limit and then catch another, toss it in with the others and then take a few swigs of barley pop while you dig around looking for the smallest, you are illegal. However, if you toss back the smallest before adding the new one to your livewell, I would not personally worry about getting busted for that.

However that is how I do it, everyone should make up their own minds.

On another note, I also come from the opinion that a 3 lb er tastes worse than a 2 lb er, so I rarely cull walleyes - I tend to get the limit and then just toss them back as I catch them. You have to touch them to remove them from your hook, so are you then in possession?????
If not, then my culling method described above should be legal.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Last year a friend and I were fishing in Canadian water by the Ambassador bridge and were spot checked by the MNR. We were asked how many fish we had in possession. 12 was our response. he boarded my boat and checked for himself. His count was the same. He asked us why we were still fishing. We were going to cull them as we may get bigger ones. He informed us we were in violation by doing that. Once the fish are in the livewell they are yours. If we wanted to continue fishing with only10 fish in possession we could do so. But we would have to throw back the further hooked fish until we wanted to keep the last 2 then quit. I asked what about the tournament guys that cull. He said they would also be in violation. He asked what was in the cooler. Cereal in a can was my response. He grinned and said that was also a violation. He let me off with a warning for both issues stating he would be a hypocrite if he busted me for cereal in a can as he claims to be a violator of that when he fishes too. :tsk: :D I learned a couple lessons that could have been expensive.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Slimshady said:
For Walleye tourneys you are correct. However, for Bass tournaments, there is usually only one angler, or if there are two, they are each keeping their own limits. They catch their 5 and cull all day.
The majority of Bass tournaments on our waters are team tournaments with a 5 fish limit per team.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Limit of fish? Thats an issue I never have to worry about........especially where I usually fish..:dizzy: :help:

·
Super Moderator
27,456 Posts
greelhappy said:
What's this limit thing I have been hearing about? Is it something new?
Possesion limit is the same as the "daily" limit. Has been discussed in the law forum many, many times.

Simply put, possesion limit is what you have in your possesion whether in your livewell, freezer at home........

For example: on Monday you went out and caught 3 walleyes. Then on Tues. you went out, you are now limited to have 2 more (3 if fishing LSC or SCR) walleyes. Thus you have 5 in possesion. This has been the law since at least 1973 (i have an old reg. booklet)

BTW. the 5 in possesion are a combination of pike, walleyes and bass. Mix or match

1 - 20 of 55 Posts