Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Jordan this weekend and didn’t have much luck. Fished three different spots. Fished right at Alba road drop in, right where Webster road crosses the river, and right where Old state rd crosses. Managed to catch a couple very small brown trout but that was it. These areas were also extremely hard to wade.

Didn’t see or catch any brook trout either. Should we have been fishing further up river near Graves Crossing Rd or very close to where the Jordan enters lake Charlevoix?

On a side note if you were looking into getting a drift boat for this river would you prefer a hard material hull vs a raft because of all the timber in the river?

Thanks for any advice you all may have!

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
look for brook trout anywhere above green river.as far as a drift boat I wouldn't look at just the Jordan ,its such a short stretch to run

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Yep... the Jordan. There are quite a few threads on the forum about the Jordan, so look those up too. As I've said a million times, I love to fish the Jordan, but not because of how good the fishing is. Yeah, I've caught some nice fish, but not at the rates I catch them in other NLP streams. I just love the river, and the scenery of the valley. The stretch you fished is more of the "big" water for the Jordan. In actuality, the Jordan is a pretty short river. You won't probably catch many /any brookies in the stretch you fished. Gotta go up further for that. Seems like you know where to go. The Jordan is pretty tough to wade period, especially where you are. It's relatively deep AND fast there. Even just above my knees, I don' t really care for it. At my hips in that section? Yucky.... One of the mysteries to the Jordan for me is that it has some HUGE fish, but getting them.... Nothing I've tried seems to be very efficient. I will say that I like spinners more than I usually do on the Jordan. I've only caught big trout there feeding bait into holes and under cuts. But, spinners can keep the action a little more frequent for 8-12" trout in the riffles or under the timber. I actually just bought my first center pin reel, specifically to try on the Jordan. From the videos I've watched and the articles I've read, I feel like this might be the way to go on the Jordan. Not in the brookie water, but in that larger water you were fishing, I think the long rod, floating, downstream, etc. might allow me to get where I want to go without drowning..... We'll see.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I fish much further up river from that bridge. And, like Zig said - fishing the Jordan is sometimes more about standing in the river and looking around. It's a phenom! Catching BIG fish is a struggle, but it can and does happen. Catching brookies requires you to hit the headwaters... and wear knee pads. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Catching brookies requires you to hit the headwaters... and wear knee pads. :)
DLHirst isn't joking about needing some knee pads in the Headwaters. I once had the pleasure of fishing with one of the Jordan's masters. He took me to a few of his spots and I watched him crawl on his belly for about 40 yards as he snuck up to the river. His first cast produced the largest resident Brown I had ever seen up to that point in my angling days. He claimed to have hooked and lost it no less than 6 times already. Watching him fish reminded me the importance of stealth when fishing smaller water for trout. That was the first thing my Father taught me when fishing for Brookies. It's a lesson that is well worth learning and remember to keep with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts