Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am sure someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong here... There are some year 'round residents, but they generally come into the river in larger numbers in the spring around the spawn/ season close and opener.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This year I'm betting the fishing will be good after the season opens back up the last weekend in April. Typically when we have this much ice on the Flint the bigger push of fish wont be here until then, when the water temps warm up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is an old thread but I'll post a reply anyhow. In a normal winter the river is usually open before the Flushing Walleye Festival and the March 15 closure for spawning. Although my success has been limited then, some guys do pick up some fish, often females. This year it's almost assured the river will still be ice covered for the festival next weekend except immediately downstream of the treatment plant north of M57. Last weekend my neighbor rode his snowmobile from near Barber Park in Montrose all the way upstream to Flushing.... 10 miles counting the river bends. There is about 8" of ice on the river at my house. In 2012 when the season opened the last Saturday in April, the fish were gone because the river was low and clear...remember the 80 temps in March? But last year for the April opener it was gangbusters and like a previous post said, I expect that will be the case this year.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I almost sent in my pre-registration...curious on how much of an impact this weather is going to have on thier festival. Last year was pretty nice, met a hand full of guys from this site during the tourney and they showed me some new spots other than fishing behind atwood. Good times, although for the fest I caught my first 1pm Sunday...final entry was noon :evil:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe its Flint River only, it could be for Saginaw Bay and its tributaries wich include the Flint River...but it would be hard to convince judges that them yellow colored wallys came the the Flint lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts