Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to fish the Ausable the 19th of this month, anyone ever use spinners? i have heard they work well for early kings, but never used them for anything besides small trout. what sizes and kinds? can ya help a brother out:D

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Most people fish Salmon in the Ausable with either spawn under a bobber, or by throwing flies on very long leaders at the Highbanks, trying to line them. I have seen spinners used with some success, but they are not as popular. I would recommend fishing the lower parts of the river with spinners, if that is your lure of choice. Fresher fish bite better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Medium to large Panther Martins in gold, orange or yellow. I've caught salmon upstream from Sixth Street in Grand Rapids on spinners, a long way from the lake. I would'nt know about the Au Sable.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
If your bank bound, go to the dam at first light. Either bottom bounce quarter sized bags out in the slow holes between signs or bobber bags in the big slack eddie in close. You can run skein as well. Spoons will also work, glow before light, and anything silvery after. After about the 15th of September last year, I got atleast a couple everytime I went, just be patient and fish hard. Run 8lb main with 6 or 8lb leaders, preferably flouro, and JUST enough weight to get it out there and get a nice drift, you don't need to be dredging bottom(one of the most common mistakes on this river).

Here's a few from around that time last year:

·
Registered
136 Posts
kings, the other white meat.

heres a pro-tip.

take a plug, preferrably one with a rattle in it. Hot Shot/wiggle wart etc.
cast it at a 30degree angle downstream, lock in the bail, hold the rod at a 45degree angle, let the current swing it back around to your side of the river. Hold on. work your spinners the same way, #4 or #5 blue fox. silver w/some blue is deadly.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Few years ago about Oct 30th I fished one morning in the Ausable for salmon. I made about 5 casts with a bright orange #3 mepps plain hoping for a salmon. As my 6th cast swung downstream on a tight line, a hen chrome steelie hammered it. About a 8# fish and the only stream steelhead I have ever caught. Didn't catch a salmon, and have never been back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts