Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11/14/09 Made it up to do some steelheading. Arrived at the homestead dam on the betsie at 6am. Only car in the lot should have known that was a bad sign. Fished with spawn, spinners, and cranks with no takers. Waded all the way down to the next access point with only a handfull of anglers, only saw one fish taken maybe 4-7 pounds. There were still some skanky salmon around in the shallows maybe four or five that i saw. Called it quits at 10am and headed to tippy dam. Fished from around 1130 untill 2. Saw no decent steelie taken besides 6-10 inch smolts. A few people were catching some small browns 8-12 inch. From there went to the PM with absolutley no action and no anglers. I am new to steelheading this year and was told this is usually a great time for it. So whats the deal? Not enough rain? Too warm? Anyone else out there have any luck or tips for a newbie?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know the huron has been real slow also. It should be jammin right now especially after the fall run we had in 08'. Their callin for rain in the forecast. I have a feeling thats gonna change things, at least I hope so. Just keep at it, you'll nail'em. I usually go by thanksgiving weekend as the true start to the run here in s.e. MI.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
We're under some high pressure and that's never good for fishing.

As for the Betsie the fish, salmon and steelheads, tend to head up over the dam and move upstream. At this time of year fishing slow, deep, holding water is what you need to do.

If you fished all the way down to the next access site below Homestead that would be just above the US31 bridge and you had a long hike back upstream to your vehicle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Betsie water temp is running 40-43F which is not too warm or too cold. I have not seen any steelhead on the gravel below Homestead, but there are some in the river and there has been for at least 2-3 weeks. The Backcast Fly Shop says that people who live on the river above the dam are seeing a few steelhead. Off the topic,steelhead are too valuable a resource to be caught just once- carry a camera and take a picture, then put the fish back. Maybe the one I put back, you can catch and enjoy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was at Tippy for several hours on Sunday morning/afternoon. One small brown, one small chromer and one decent 8 pound buck. Pretty slow day for most of the people that I encountered. All fish taken with a silver Blue Fox Vibrax # 3. Weather was great, couldn't ask for more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
LOL Your not kidden long hike back !!!.Made that trek last yr the only thing that I didnt mind was the scenery and found some nice never mind

1 - 7 of 7 Posts