Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What heading should I take out of Coggins road to get to the middle of the black hole?
Also do you think I will be able to unload my sled if I get there by noon? AND, Is there a trail going out that I can follow? Lots of questions, but it is my first trip on the bay, and I will be solo. I have fished out of there in the past and like the little park there. I hoping because it is Mon. there might not be too many there?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
What heading should I take out of Coggins road to get to the middle of the black hole?
Also do you think I will be able to unload my sled if I get there by noon? AND, Is there a trail going out that I can follow? Lots of questions, but it is my first trip on the bay, and I will be solo. I have fished out of there in the past and like the little park there. I hoping because it is Mon. there might not be too many there?
Might want to reconsider that. Strong southwest winds tomorrow. You might get a real first experience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH no, I didn"t look at the wind yet, ok, i will check it and if I can't do it Monday I'll do it Tues. .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shore ice short of the crack is doable tmrw out of plenty of spots if you can retackle vs walleye. The perch guys for the most part don’t share much on this site cause it can be delicate with an over run of people. Perch bite this year has been better than the last handful of years. Tight lines

·
Registered
153 Posts
How far out is that crack?
First crack 3/4 of a mile. She closed back up was only bout 16" ish today. We will see what this week brings. Could use a lil warm up to flatten things up down there. Also some run off and dirty up the water a bit maybe get the a holes biting

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
676 Posts
Never ever go out alone!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear you San V. but where I live all my friends don't like to ice fish much and especially the bay. Most of my fishing partners have passed or they live down state. I stil have the great urge to feel that fish on the end of my pole. It is getting harder for me to lug all that equipment out and pack it back up when the days over. BUT when I'm out there and I'm fishing I am in my glory And smiling all the time!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I hear you San V. but where I live all my friends don't like to ice fish much and especially the bay. Most of my fishing partners have passed or they live down state. I stil have the great urge to feel that fish on the end of my pole. It is getting harder for me to lug all that equipment out and pack it back up when the days over. BUT when I'm out there and I'm fishing I am in my glory And smiling all the time!!
Where abouts are you fishgetter, I'm in Mio area and in the same boat. All the equipment but usually alone

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in St. Helen ,I am a electrical contractor and When I get a little free time I like fishing for them eye's
in the bay. My son (who is 54) lives with us and he doesn't like to go fishing as much as I do unless I twist his arm.
My wife don't like me to go alone also, but she lets me anyway. I am sure if I went to one of the accesses there would be some one that would let me tag along.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nothing wrong with solo I’ve done it before but not with the ice the way it is. There’s still some ice south of black hole I wouldn’t do alone. If there was 12”-16” and no bad winds and no cracks more than a ft I’d say send it. But there’s still that new ice and holes could definitely get a solo guy in trouble

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I live in St. Helen ,I am a electrical contractor and When I get a little free time I like fishing for them eye's
in the bay. My son (who is 54) lives with us and he doesn't like to go fishing as much as I do unless I twist his arm.
My wife don't like me to go alone also, but she lets me anyway. I am sure if I went to one of the accesses there would be some one that would let me tag along.
The normal bay guys know the "what and whys" if you ask to tag along.. I have never heard of any group saying "no".. hit a normal access point early and ask any group.. if all else fails,find another solo..

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
You're rarely genuinely "alone" on the bay, especially if you use a popular access. If you just wait for a short period, there will be ample groups that usually have no issue with you traveling with them. I fish alone 50% of the time, but have almost never traveled alone on the route in or out.

Just don't set up 10 yards from the group you traveled with:cool:.
Never ever go out alone!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts