Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get out on some of the big water action but have a 14' V Sea Nymph with 25hp. Was wondering if anyone had insight on the best times to catch fish in the inland lakes spilling into Lake MI.
Maybe if conditions were perfect such as low wind and no more than 2' waves, I'm thinking of trolling along the LP beaches in spring. Is this a crazy idea with the boat size? My boating skills are good but judgment can always be better! Thinking Saginaw and Traverse bay areas too. I hear Lake Huron's temperament is a little nicer...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Last spring I got 2 manual riggers and some lead core rods and set up my dad's 13' mod v and headed to GTB. I caught Lakers until my heart was content even lucked into some steelhead. I fished maybe 10 days from memorial day through mid July in that boat (I live down state) and never once had a day I didn't limit before waves or wind forced me off the bay.

Just be warned it gets addicting. By August 1 I owned a 22' Pursuit, 12 trolling rods, electric riggers, 150+ spoons, a couple dozen plugs, and was tieing up my own trolling flies and meat rigs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last spring I got 2 manual riggers and some lead core rods and set up my dad's 13' mod v and headed to GTB. I caught Lakers until my heart was content even lucked into some steelhead. I fished maybe 10 days from memorial day through mid July in that boat (I live down state) and never once had a day I didn't limit before waves or wind forced me off the bay.

Just be warned it gets addicting. By August 1 I owned a 22' Pursuit, 12 trolling rods, electric riggers, 150+ spoons, a couple dozen plugs, and was tieing up my own trolling flies and meat rigs.
I'll have to try that out. I know how addicting it can be. Last summer I went out on a charter in manistee and ended up buying 2 trolling rods with line counter, dipseys, dodgers, plugs, spoons and flys.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As soon as ice is out you can start fishing harbor patrol. Brown trout fishing can be good in many harbors all the way up to June. Though early in the season you can have hit or miss days. Don't over look any small lakes or rivers connecting to lake Michigan.

·
Registered
19,010 Posts
14' Sea Nymph with a 15 horse, and a 215 Four Winns with a 350 Chevy. Want to guesss which one takes more fish out of Lake Michigan for me each year?

Saginaw Bay can be nasty. Don't overlook lots of inland lakes that are planted with lakers, rainbows, and/or browns that you can troll as well.

If you want a crash course in how to patrol the beachs drop me a PM. Should be out within a month; should be really good in two.

·
Registered
668 Posts
That is plenty of boat and motor for the big lake. Just pick and choose your days and don't go very far. You should be able to catch fish on the big lake as soon as you can get out till you have to put the boat away. If nothing else just ask someone to take you out. I love to take people out. I went from a 14ft tin can with a 10hp to an 18ft Lund to a 31ft Sea Ray. To put it into perspective, I see people out there in kayaks. They do just fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I downloaded the GLMF Great Lakes Marine Forecast Graphics app on my phone. It looks like a great tool to use for current wave, wind, water temps and more conditions of all lakes.

Thanks for all the insight!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Always remember when you're in a small boat that can be muscled around, the worst thing that happens if you beach it is somebody yells at you.

Reactions: Kidd17

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
I downloaded the GLMF Great Lakes Marine Forecast Graphics app on my phone. It looks like a great tool to use for current wave, wind, water temps and more conditions of all lakes.

Thanks for all the insight!
I troll out of my Kayak in the fall. Lol.

If you're smart and watch the weather that's more then enough boat.

·
Registered
19,010 Posts
Anything more than 3' could be deadly in the surf. Breaking waves have all kinds of energy in them not seen in the open lake when they are not breaking. Many a crew has made it to shore grounding the boat only to die on the beach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts