Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever watch the Lake superior state college fishcam? Seems like alot of fish there.
I have noticed alot of the fish have lampreys on them.
Please contact me if interested in the site
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
171 Posts
beat me to it! found the link, pretty cool. seems like lots of schools trout and salmon. are those penned fish? seems like a lot to be true.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Those are all wild fish. They are mainly atlantic salmon that run up the St Mary's river around this time of year. In the fall You can watch the kings when they come in to spawn. I believe the camera is by the power plant in the Sault. The fish do have alot of lamprey on them. This is becoming very typical up in the area. We fish Northern Lake Huron and over 1/2 of the fish we catch have scars.

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
This is a really cool webcam. I hate to say it, but those are not all wild fish, by any stretch of the imagination. Lake Superior State University has been stocking and studying Atlantic Salmon and Sturgeon for many years, in the Soo. These fish are returning planted Atlantics. In the Winter, they move the webcam to indoor ponds which hold mature Sturgeon, which are used as brood stock for raising Sturgeon in their hatchery - for planting. It is still cool to watch.

I am not seeing very many fish, and haven't seen any with a lamprey hanging, yet. By the end of July there will be tons of Atlantics in the view, along with some Kings and Pinks. And when that happens, you occassionally will see a Korkie in the picture, as some fisherman casts into the flow, trying to get a hookup.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have checked the cam out a few times in the past few days. Every time I see an Atlantic or two with a hitch hiker. (lamprey) Are the numbers on the rise??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts