Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple buddies and I are avid trap and sporting clay shooters and decided this year we would try our hands at waterfowl. We've been deer hunting for a couple years now but know this is a whole new ball game. We don't have a boat or a retriever and know this will make it a little more difficult but from the research we've been doing seems like Fish point would be a good place to start. A couple questions to those who have been out there before:

- can you make by out there in hip waders or do you recommend full chest?

- we do have kayaks but they're not camoed, would those help hunting there?

- is this really the best place to start out?

If you have any other pointers to toss my way please do.

Cheers and good hunting!

·
Registered
382 Posts
You'll definitely want chest waders for most areas. A cheap jet sled might serve better for your gear. Those ducks get smart quickly

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Regarding your questions:

Hip waders may work but full chest waders are highly recommended. There are "dry" hunting locations but without chest waders you will be very limited in where you can hunt without getting a wet arse.

You do not need to paddle to hunting locations. Unlike Shiawassee or Pointe Mouillee you can walk to all hunting locations. A jet sled, or canoe or small boat is very helpful for hauling decoys and gear and providing you with a dry location to keep your blind bag/ammo/etc.

Fish Point and Nayanquing two of the easier of the managed waterfowl areas to access and hunt.

The first time that you hunt a managed location, many highly recommend that you go during an afternoon hunt. You will be able to see the hunting locations and it is much easier to get in an out without getting lost prior to shooting hours.

Ask questions of the guys running the check station. At FP and all these managed areas, these men and women are extremely helpful and know the area well.

Use your duck (and goose) call sparingly. It is as ugly as homemade sin listening to somebody in a nearby zone call continuously at every bird in the sky.

Let the birds commit and come into your decoys. Shoot at birds that are in range and that are working your decoys. Your are limited to 25 shells. It does not mean that you need to use them all. They do not go bad. As an avid shooter, you know well that a shotgun is a short range weapon. Some people have the attitude that "I got up early and got here and I am going to shoot." You will most likely see these people at the managed areas. You will also see the results of their behavior.

Here are some tips from the Fish Point Wildlife Association: http://www.fishpoint-mi.com/cu4_r.cfm

Enjoy your hunt.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
As a newbie to the areas mentioned above last year, all above is good advice. We bring a camo kayak to serve as a dry island to store gear and if it gets too cold a place to get out of the water for a bit. You could just throw some form of camo over yours. Also, they can come in handy on long range cripples as they can swim faster than you can run.

Get marsh seats. Period. Standing for 6 hours sucks.

One thing no one pointed out to us at fish point - at least where we hunted, about 5' in front of the corn there's a ditch to get water in and out of the fields. Any time you walk out to set decoys, move decoys, get birds it goes from ankle deep to waist deep and then back to ankle deep. We found that out on our own and amazingly didn't fall in.

At Nyanquing we were in the 20's and the bottom outside of the corn was terrible to walk in.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Welcome to fun fest called Fish Point!! I've been hunting there for 9 years now and still have some to learn about the area. As FarBeyoundDriven said-- a swamp seat is a MUST! Even a homemade 2X4 seat will work good. As far as the deep ditches in the zones-- some are bigger than others and there are some on the path/2 track on the sides of the fields. Just ask the guys at the counter for any spots to watch for while walking. I use my gun stick as a walking stick after my buddy took a long step into a 2' deep hole in the 2 track!
Other than that, since it is a smaller space between some of the zones- please let the birds work and watch out for the skybusters!
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
and you haven't been initiated until you "find" one of the feeder cuts and do a face plant. as noted, they will divide the areas between the parallel zones and then there's another just in front of the strips. in your glee of bagging a goose, you'll find the later the hard way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Regarding your questions:

Hip waders may work but full chest waders are highly recommended. There are "dry" hunting locations but without chest waders you will be very limited in where you can hunt without getting a wet arse.

You do not need to paddle to hunting locations. Unlike Shiawassee or Pointe Mouillee you can walk to all hunting locations. A jet sled, or canoe or small boat is very helpful for hauling decoys and gear and providing you with a dry location to keep your blind bag/ammo/etc.

Fish Point and Nayanquing two of the easier of the managed waterfowl areas to access and hunt.

The first time that you hunt a managed location, many highly recommend that you go during an afternoon hunt. You will be able to see the hunting locations and it is much easier to get in an out without getting lost prior to shooting hours.

Ask questions of the guys running the check station. At FP and all these managed areas, these men and women are extremely helpful and know the area well.

Use your duck (and goose) call sparingly. It is as ugly as homemade sin listening to somebody in a nearby zone call continuously at every bird in the sky.

Let the birds commit and come into your decoys. Shoot at birds that are in range and that are working your decoys. Your are limited to 25 shells. It does not mean that you need to use them all. They do not go bad. As an avid shooter, you know well that a shotgun is a short range weapon. Some people have the attitude that "I got up early and got here and I am going to shoot." You will most likely see these people at the managed areas. You will also see the results of their behavior.

Here are some tips from the Fish Point Wildlife Association: http://www.fishpoint-mi.com/cu4_r.cfm

Enjoy your hunt.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yes and if you find some prescription Maui Jims in one of those "feeder" cuts, please shoot me a pm. THAT was an expensive day. :irked:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Haha my buddys first time there he found a feeder cut and also found a hole in the crotch of his new waders.. Best walk out of a field ever!!!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Yeah everyone need to fall in those. We had an awesome second morning hunt one year in 2. Later in the week we hunted it again with a very short female hunter from work. As she approached the hidden ditch my buddy says SHOULD WE TELL HER. I say he'll no. We all fell in it the other day. As she comes up sputtering she yells I CAN HEAR YOU LAUGHING. She still insists she lost some shells when she fell. In reality she shot them all up trying to hit the tons of teal that just came in that day

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys for all the advice! Got a couple more though. How accessible are the areas around fish point if we don't get a spot in the draw? I know in the video they say that there's area around fish point but do you need a boat for that or can you hoof it?

Also, my buddy is nervous about going and recommended we go with a guide for a first time out. Would that really be a great benefit? If so in what ways?

Thank you again for all the help!

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Thank you guys for all the advice! Got a couple more though. How accessible are the areas around fish point if we don't get a spot in the draw? I know in the video they say that there's area around fish point but do you need a boat for that or can you hoof it?

Also, my buddy is nervous about going and recommended we go with a guide for a first time out. Would that really be a great benefit? If so in what ways?

Thank you again for all the help!
If this is to be your first experience duck hunting, you may well wish to go with a guide. There are a number of guide services working the Saginaw Bay Area. Some of them are regulars on this site. In the Fish Point area, you have Fish Point Lodge, Defoe Island Duck Charters, and Rose Island Duck Charters among others. Some of these are fully guided hunts and others are where you are dropped off at a blind, decoys are set and you do your own retrieving, and you are picked up after your hunt.

Also, if you are driving to FP, it may not be that much farther to drive to Shiawassee River State Game Area, they used to host a Guest Hunter Program. This program is intended for new duck hunters just like you. I do not know if they still have this program.

I would think that any of the above would provide you and your friend with a better experience than going to Fish Point cold the first time.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Yes and if you find some prescription Maui Jims in one of those "feeder" cuts, please shoot me a pm. THAT was an expensive day. :irked:
OUCH! Got a pair of those myself. I think I would've been swimming in the mud if I had dropped mine. Damn!

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
There's a bunch of really good guys up there that hunt it almost every day that you can seek advise and even (hopefully) buddy hunt with them. Particularly, a single hunter. if you get paired up before the draw, it opens them up to hunting the party zones and you get the benefit of their knowledge/expertise.

The FP Assoc guys will always help you out as well. They're all pretty good guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts