Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Fish flies

1356 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Joe Archer
How are the hatches? I was wondering if they are slowing down anyone have a guess
when they usually end? Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Massive areas of dead ones all over Anchor Bay heading south with today’s north wind. Saw schools of perch feeding on the top and smallmouth porpoising eating the bugs.
How are the hatches? I was wondering if they are slowing down anyone have a guess
when they usually end? Thanks

Attachments

I'm in St. Clair Shores. Give me your address, I'll send over a truckload!
Seriously, because of the strange weather the last 2 weeks the hatch is sporadic. Some nights enormous, other very few. I don't think we've hit peak yet.
Couldnt believe the rafts of dead bugs when I was out Tuesday night, SCS.
just stay upwind if going trolling or use bottom bouncers.
I may be wrong, but I from what I can tell, those "dead bugs" on the surface are just the carcasses from the fish flies. those are the "wigglers" that come out of the mud at the bottom of the lake. The same wigglers we buy for ice fishing bait. They come to the surface, then they turn into a "beautiful fish fly", like a "beautiful butterfly" coming out of it's caccoon. The fish fly lays eggs, the eggs sink into the bottom mud of the lake and hatch next year.

The only purpose a fish fly has in life is to reproduce, and that's it. They don't even have a mouth from what I understand. They lay their eggs, fly away and die!!! What a life, huh? LOL
Other than hunting and fishing; isn't that EVERYONE'S main purpose in life?? 😁😁
<----<<<
I may be wrong, but I from what I can tell, those "dead bugs" on the surface are just the carcasses from the fish flies. those are the "wigglers" that come out of the mud at the bottom of the lake. The same wigglers we buy for ice fishing bait. They come to the surface, then they turn into a "beautiful fish fly", like a "beautiful butterfly" coming out of it's caccoon. The fish fly lays eggs, the eggs sink into the bottom mud of the lake and hatch next year.

The only purpose a fish fly has in life is to reproduce, and that's it. They don't even have a mouth from what I understand. They lay their eggs, fly away and die!!! What a life, huh? LOL
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.