Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new unit and am wondering if anyone has a unit that they are very happy with. I currently have one that doesn't mark fish very well, and I basically just use it as a depth finder. I've read many articles lately on different models, but a lot of them are the manufacturers 'tooting thier own horn' and I'd like opinions that are from actual owners or users.
So, like I said , if anyone has a good unit that they are extremely thrilled with... please let me know!

Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have had several Lorance models and I have always been very satisfied. Their warranty service is great but some others may not agree. For example, I have a LMS 334c which was a combined GPS with an internal antenna and fish finder. We managed to break one of the pins in the transducer cable and the pin got stuck in the unit. I called Lowrance and they said that they would take a look at it and if it was repairable they would fix it. He also said that they may send me a new unit instead of fixing my old one. A few weeks after I sent it in, I received a brand new unit. I think that is very good service. Unfortunately the LMS 334c has been discontinued.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I use a Lowrance x67c Ice Machine on my boat. It's a portable for icefishing and in the summer I mount a different transducer on a transom bracket and move it all over the boat. On the floor next to me when I'm driving, then on one of the seats in front of me when I'm handlining, or with the long cord that it has, up front when I'm jigging.

Now I just need to get better at catching.:lol: I can see them on the screen but I'm still not putting enough of them in the boat.

I also have a Garmin combo unit on the dash. I use it to tell me how deep the water is.:( GPS is great though.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Kevin, that thing looks like you're sitting in a movie theater.:lol: I could see under your boat all the way from Dave's boat.

I'm jealous though, as my eyes get older I'll have to invest in one of those.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
He is the only guy on the water with a big screen :lol: Like I said before I wanna be like Kev when I grow up:lol: That is one awesome fish finder Gps Kev has, I am getting a kick out of these pictures everyone has been taking Kev and getting to see how big thing really is:yikes:.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I will check into some of these models. I have a Lowrance GLobalmap GPS unit and it suddenly stopped locking onto to satellites last season. I called Lowrance( or emailed them-don't remember) and they told me that the unit is 5 years old and technology has changed and I should but a new one! I paid a pretty big price for the unit, and I don't consider 5 years to be that old. Technology may have gotten better, but Lake ST. Clair is still in the same place, and thats all I was concerned about.

So understandably, I'm a bit shy of going with Lowrance if this is how they back their units.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
So the service rep told you to buy a new unit, always trying to pry more money out of us, aren't they! Well, maybe, but I believe he probably opened his pie-hole without thinking perhaps. The GPS unit you have isn't very old, if it was something other than electronics. Electronics, computers, tv's etc., are constantly being upgraded at a surprisingly incredible rate. By the time new electrical devices have hit the market, they basically are technologically obsolete! So many different advances, features etc. have been done, that they no longer manufacture or stock parts to repair or rebuild old units. It does suck for us, the consumer, but these companies can only make and warehouse so much of one product to make good financial sense.

Basically it boils down to this, the guy could have told you a couple of much better sounding solutions;

1) The unit which you own would cost more to repair than a comparable unit would be to buy new. (Personally, my fave, always like an excuse to buy new toys!)
2)The parts are not available to repair this unit anymore.(Most likely true with older electronics)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Anyone have a Eagle 250 gps combo? I have been looking at these because they are fairly cheap dollar range (+/- $200) and have the GPS built into them. They look like a decent model for a small aluminum boat. Plus Eagle is made by Lowrance.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cpt.Chaos said:
So the service rep told you to buy a new unit, always trying to pry more money out of us, aren't they! Well, maybe, but I believe he probably opened his pie-hole without thinking perhaps. The GPS unit you have isn't very old, if it was something other than electronics. Electronics, computers, tv's etc., are constantly being upgraded at a surprisingly incredible rate. By the time new electrical devices have hit the market, they basically are technologically obsolete! So many different advances, features etc. have been done, that they no longer manufacture or stock parts to repair or rebuild old units. It does suck for us, the consumer, but these companies can only make and warehouse so much of one product to make good financial sense.

Basically it boils down to this, the guy could have told you a couple of much better sounding solutions;

1) The unit which you own would cost more to repair than a comparable unit would be to buy new. (Personally, my fave, always like an excuse to buy new toys!)
2)The parts are not available to repair this unit anymore.(Most likely true with older electronics)
I agree, they could've done a better job. The unit does power up fine, just won't lock on the satellites...could be a problem antenna or connection.. they could have had me send it in and verify that the unit is the problem instead of just telling me to buy a new one! Did they really think I was gonna toss it in the trash and buy one of THEIR new ones?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I contacted lowrance last year when my unit 332c acted up and they sent me a chip to put in slot on unit and it upgraded it then I sent back in package they sent me to return and problem solved....Look on there web site and call them, I have always had great experance with Lowrance and they are #1 in my book. If I remember right I also held down the power button for 60 sec. and it reset itself.:fish:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've heard many folks say that they were treated well at Lowrance, maybe I caught a guy on a bad day... I know I've had 'em!
I get my boat back Wed. and am going to go through the wiring really well, then try an borrow an antanna from someone who has a unit with the same plug -in and see if thats the problem. Being that my antanna has the quick release lever that allows it to fold over, maybe the wire is bad inside where it bends.. can't hurt to try.

Either way, with or without it, I SHOULD BE ON THE RIVER BY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:coolgleam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts