Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Eagle Optima FF on my boat and it doesn't track the downrigger balls when I have them further down than about 30'. Can I just replace the transducer or will I need a new unit?
Anyone know?
Richard

·
Registered
100 Posts
It would be helpful to know what type of transducer you have.

I contacted AirMar about this in the past and they say you can get a new transducer and splice into the cable that goes to the old FF. I don't think they can provide unit specific transducer connectors. I'll dig up the question in their knowledgebase and post it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok, I may be wrong...maybe they can supply unit specific connectors when you order the transducer. This is their response to a question I asked about replacing my FF but keeping the Ducer.

"The P79 would work with a Lowrance sounder as long as the product is not operating at more than 600watts RMS. There is not an adaptor so you would need to cut and splice the cable."

You may want to do some research. I don't know exactly how the FF works in combination with the ducer but it sounds like just because the ducer is capable of 600w it actually depends on the FF to put out all that power. maybe someone a little more knowledgable can chime in. maybe your ducer is more capable than your FF...now you need to figure out which one to replace. Post the exact model of the FF for more help.

Ok, I did a quick search on "Optima" at the Eagle website and came across a spec of "600 W/ 75 RMS". 75W RMS doesn't sound too promising.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an old Eagle Optima FF on my boat and it doesn't track the downrigger balls when I have them further down than about 30'. Can I just replace the transducer or will I need a new unit?
Anyone know?
Richard
My guess would be they are blowing back past the view of your cone. Try tipping the transducer back a little. Or try letting one down while not moving to see if that is what it is.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
My guess would be they are blowing back past the view of your cone. Try tipping the transducer back a little. Or try letting one down while not moving to see if that is what it is.

Yes..... That is it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you tried just cleaning the transducer with soap and water? Sometimes they get oil and crud built up on the bottom and it reduces the sensitivity. I'm not familiar with your model but have you cranked the sensitivity up as far as it will go as a test?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts