Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You know what works better than that contraption and you already have it? Your rod. Just keep pulling the fish right up out of the hole instead of trying to grab it.

Houghtonlaker showed me that trick a couple winters ago and I hardly ever lose fish at the hole anymore.

What happens is you accidentally give the fish some slack when you stop pulling them up as they reach the surface of the hole. Rod in one hand and leaning down to pick up the fish with the other creates the slack and the fish is gone. :rant:

·
Premium Member
29,767 Posts
Buddy of mine uses one of those huge ice scoops that looks as he calls it like a "hockey stick" same principal, have it hole turned away from it until fish get into the hole then once fish is in hole spin it to fill bottom of hole then lift. Just like having a ice hole net.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
youtube showed a video of a guy using one, he had a piece of 4in pvc pipe in the hole, and a skimmer cut down to fit inside and turned out of the way, when he got a fish up into the pipe he would turn the handle closing the hole, and pick up the fish.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Let the Fish dictate when he wants to come up......I used to make that mistake when i was younger, look down the hole and see how big a fish is, and get all excited, thats when you lose them. Take your time, especially with big Walts, when you get them close, dont reel anymore, just pull there Head in the hole with the rod, 9 times out of 10 when his heads in the hole, you got-em......

My luck, the Fish would get wrapped around the Elevator, and i would lose it!!!!:rant:

Mushy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts