Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first Turkey and first anything this morning on public land. I took the learn to hunt class put on by the DNR and NWTF in 2018. Finally got my license and went out last year but didn’t get one, did deer too and didn’t get one either.

Yesterday morning had a ton of action so went back to the same spot. About 12 birds in the area. Had two gobblers behind me as I was calling as the biggest Tom was already henned up. Finally they start moving my way, try to get them to stop but they won’t. Figure it’s now or never and drilled him at 25 yards. What a thrill! I had never even shot a gun before that learn to hunt class and I go solo.

Very excited to try out different recipes.

Heres the beard, 9 inches:

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I really like the photo.....there’s always something satisfying about doing it on your own......congrats and WELCOME TO THE CLUB !
Flight

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Excellent gobbler and nice story too. So, BIG CONGRATS!! (y)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Got my first Turkey and first anything this morning on public land. I took the learn to hunt class put on by the DNR and NWTF in 2018. Finally got my license and went out last year but didn’t get one, did deer too and didn’t get one either.

Yesterday morning had a ton of action so went back to the same spot. About 12 birds in the area. Had two gobblers behind me as I was calling as the biggest Tom was already henned up. Finally they start moving my way, try to get them to stop but they won’t. Figure it’s now or never and drilled him at 25 yards. What a thrill! I had never even shot a gun before that learn to hunt class and I go solo.

Very excited to try out different recipes.

View attachment 763196

Heres the beard, 9 inches:
View attachment 763197
Nice bird, You really wanna get a rush go perch fishing with the Roofer on Lake Erie Aboard the baits motel.lol

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Congrats great bird.Looks like you did a great job learning.Hell of a beard how long.Don’t forget you can turkey hunt in fall in certain areas

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats great bird.Looks like you did a great job learning.Hell of a beard how long.Don’t forget you can turkey hunt in fall in certain areas
Yeah I actually applied last year but didn't get drawn for the area I was in. I'll try again this year but if I don't get it for where I live I might just buy a leftover somewhere else and take a weekend trip. Worst part was I saw a good amount of turkey where I was deer hunting, even had a couple roosted in trees near where I was set up!

·
Registered
18,671 Posts
Congrats.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Congrats, doing it on your own vs. a guided hunt makes it so much more special IMO. The thing about turkey's in the spring just being out there calling is as much fan as harvesting one.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I agree with flight one they get pointed at lest three.It won’t be easy beating him with those spurs and beard he is a trophy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts