Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just using a 4" pumpkin colored worm I guess I caught 25 bass. Was on a couple small lakes near Frankfort........one lake with mostly smallies and the other with mostly largemouth....

I guess wiggling your worm pays off sometimes.....

I had my first attempt at eating smallmouth last year and found them very enjoyable..........I thought I was hosting a fish fry while there but it didn't materialize..........otherwise I wouldn't have kept the larger two that were 17".

Had to leave my kayak home to accomodate one of the fisherman...........I wasn't in control of how or where we fished, I guess I'm just spoiled. All in all had a great time, spent 2 1/2 days tiling a countertop.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just recently learned about this technique from the guys at Dipnet. I guess it's popular on the silvers when used with a perch rig. Is it the same set up for lm/sm bass fishing? Those guys shore bangin the Detroit use like 6oz sinkers, so I am guessing your sinker would have to be much smaller for an inland lake with no where near the current of the Detroit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just recently learned about this technique from the guys at Dipnet. I guess it's popular on the silvers when used with a perch rig. Is it the same set up for lm/sm bass fishing? Those guys shore bangin the Detroit use like 6oz sinkers, so I am guessing your sinker would have to be much smaller for an inland lake with no where near the current of the Detroit.
I was using a 3/8 oz (I think) sinker anywhere from 4' to 25' of water. Hook was tied on the line with a Palomar knot about 12-15" above the weight.

If you keep just the right amount of tension without lifting the sinker off the bottom you could feel them taking in the bait. It was pretty fun, but then again, both lakes are known for bass. Got one hammer handle pike too.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Just using a 4" pumpkin colored worm I guess I caught 25 bass. Was on a couple small lakes near Frankfort........one lake with mostly smallies and the other with mostly largemouth....

I guess wiggling your worm pays off sometimes.....

I had my first attempt at eating smallmouth last year and found them very enjoyable..........I thought I was hosting a fish fry while there but it didn't materialize..........otherwise I wouldn't have kept the larger two that were 17".

Had to leave my kayak home to accomodate one of the fisherman...........I wasn't in control of how or where we fished, I guess I'm just spoiled. All in all had a great time, spent 2 1/2 days tiling a countertop.
Nice haul!

Now try a gulp minnow and hold on to your rod.

I use to fish a lot of tournament on LSC and 4" gulp minnow drop shot was my go to big fish bait. You can catch fish lots of ways on that lake by when I need a big one that's what I used. I also caught a 40" plus Muskie on the same tiny minnow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never tried this technique. did you fish it straight down from the boat or cast it towards cover?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I started using this technique a few years ago. Now 80% of my fishing is drop shotting. It always seems to catch me fish no matter what lake I am fishing on. Anything gulp seems to do the trick and I also like using small 4" senko's. I fish from shore and just cast it out and retieve slow making sure the weight is always in contact with the bottom. It's also not just for bass fishing. I've caught perch, gills, crappie, pike, walleye, and recently even a few elusive stocker trout.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use a smaller dropshot/splitshot hook, tie directly to your line with a palomar knot. Leave 12-18" of line on the tag end. Run the tag end back through the eye of the hook to make the hook stand upright (very important). They make special dropshot weights that just clip on to the end of your line which are convenient but not required. You can just use regular bass casting weights too. When finished you will have the hook standing upright, then the weight about 12-18" below the hook, then nose hook a plastic of your choice. A quick google search will give you a visual. I also prefer lighter line, like 6-8 pound. Been having good luck using 6 pound flurocarbon this year. From what I understand its less visable then mono which seems to help with this kind of finesse fishing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
thanks for explaining how to use the drop shot. I'm gonna have to try it next time I'm on the water

1 - 15 of 15 Posts