Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are going to the UP on a camping trip. I wanted to see Tahquamenon Falls as well as try to catch some nice fish.

Long story short, the only boat that I'll be able to bring up is a ten foot flat bottom and a small trolling motor. (It's going to look like the Griswolds are going on vacation...I'm putting the boat on top of the truck topper and strapping it down...)

I have several questions...

Given my boat and destination, what lakes or rivers should I fish?
What kind of tackle (medium action rod?) should I take to use?

I would like to try to catch some walleye and pike...basically anything that I can eat I'll be fishing for...unless that doesn't work, then I'll fish for anything.

Tips and advice are more than welcome!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey KC when are you planning on camping as well as where at? Going up next week for 5 days and camping at the falls and was looking for shore fishing info.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll probably be up there later than that...not looking to leave for a couple of weeks and we have some stops to make along the way, sounds like we'll miss you.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
All kinds of options..shelldrake dam..pike mostly...andrus lake trout n bass..both places are good for small boat..even the taqhuamenon river..wally pike musky...dollarville flooding near newberry..trout and frenchmans lake in trout lake has pike n walleye.pike lake has walleye..bodi culhane both may have a few walleye as well as pike ..black river, carp river for trout....the shelldrake campgroound is closed but still no problem to launch a cartopper.. I would take medium action..it covers most presentations...unless you are gonna troll and cast for musky on the taq... Have fun there are spots on shelldrake and the taqhuamenon river that can be shore fished as well as many of the smaller lakes and the rivers can be shore or waded fished....further west u have the blind sucker flooding..mostly pike and nawakwa that are good for small boats...

·
Registered
305 Posts
dont go on the taquhuamenon river with just a small trolling motor. I electric fish a lot in the area. I have a good size one on a small boat. It needs 3/4 throttle to get it just to move up river. Med action rod is good if thats what you have. Anythings good though. I only use ultra light rods their a lot more fun they handle any thing under 35 when i get anything bigger have another good story to tell. I use Power Pro 30lb. and a leader will yank any weed out if you get hung up on them. 30 lb the size of 8lb mono I usually tie on about 50 yards onto some mono. Culhane is a close place for electric has good size pike and walleye. Its 50 ft deep so take some stuff like walley divers hot n tots, spoons stuff like that that can down a little bit when not working the shore. Pike or Bodi are another close lakes with those fish, down the same road

1 - 6 of 6 Posts