Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, another season's just about over with and I finally got to Lake Simcoe. Myself, gsepan, Dan and Roland arrived In a little town called Gilford (blink and you'll miss it) on Friday Feb. 27 around 9:30ish and located the bait shop. Got our license's and headed to the lake. We rented a sleeper ice hut so we weren't sure what to expect until we got there. The hut (shown below) was prity primitive but we where there to fish not sit in the hut all day, well some of us where anyway. Friday's afternoon bit was slow. Gsepan, myself and Roland took a walk for the evening bit to the fishing shanties the the outfitter had out at 30ft or so. Oh, the sleeper hut was in 20ft and clear strait to the bottom. Friday's evening bit didn't produce much so we came back to the hut and commenced to drinking pops. Gsepan droped the Vex down and Roland dropped everything down. My buddy Roland is a walking tackle shop. This guy has anything and everything you can think of. The only problem with that is all the gagits he has don't catch him fish. Ever! Did see fish in the hole Friday night but nothing to write home about. Saturday morning we walked over to a spot where some guy's pounded the fish the night before and again slow, slow, slow. Hung out until about 11ish and headed into town for lunch. The evening bit wa better with gsepan working the Vexlar and producing a good catch. Me, I sat about 50-75 yards away from G and did ok without the Vex. The lure of choice seemed to be the pimple, small tipped with a min.
Dan stayed in the hut (all weekend) and Roland fished in deeper water about 25ft with no results. Not uncommon for him. Saturday evening's bit went right to dark and we moved back to the hut. Gsepan even caught perch out of the hut after dark with the Vex. Oh ya and I also proceded to take everyone's money Saturday night at the poker table. Sorry guy's. Sunday morning's bit was just as good as the night before, same holes produced. We headed out around 11ish. Had a GREAT time you guy's, lets do it again next year know that we know what the deal is over there. :D

The Hut

Inside the hut with gsepan, Dan and Roland

The Gang

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Jeff,

Where you fishing with the Ice Cabins of Gilford. I believe most of there huts are green. If so you were in the same areas on the same days that me and my buddy were there. We limited out by Saturday evening. Didn't get to fish on Sunday morning. Weather seemed perfect for a good day though. I don't see any pictures on your post. If you were in the hut I'm thinking of you were in a green hut in the first group of shanties from shore. I believe there was a pickup parked there most of the time we went by there.

Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that was us. You where the guy's in the party hut right? I can't seem to get the pictures to upload. I'm still trying.

·
Team Yukon
4,863 Posts
Here you go Jeff, Cooks Bay has alot better fishing earlier in the season(Dec/Jan)...Now that you've done the hut rental, time to get out in the lake and remember to stay mobile!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ya you know it! Next time out we'll do thing's a little differently.
Thanks for fixing the pics.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Jeff,

That was the hut I was thinking about. We don't rent huts when we go over there. I was fishing in the middle of the two groups of huts though. The huts that were farther out didn't do near as good as you guys did. I talked to a couple of guys that were fishing there and they only had one fish (we had already caught more than 100 by that time). The bite on Saturday lasted until about 12:30 for us. Between 1 and 4 I don't think we caught a fish. As soon as the sun started to sink they would turn on again. Beautiful weather to fish in. Drove by your hut a couple of times during the trip. One time you guys were out side the hut in a big group. Looked like you were having a good time. Fishing Simcoe can be a blast. I might head back in another week or so.

Joe

·
Registered
620 Posts
Had a Blast!!! What do you think Jeff? Get back up there in a few weeks if the ice stays intact? Leave early Saturday morning at 3am, be setup at 6:30, fish all day into the evening and head back home at dark... eh? eh? I got you thinking now don't I?:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have always wanted to stay out on the ice at Simcoe. can I have some more details on the huts you stayed at. How many can sleep there, how much did it cost a night, phone number etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
By the way Jeff, You have to click on the "thumbnail" photos, open them up, right mouse click, get url address, highlight and copy then paste into post... You almost had it except you used the thumbnail photos instead... Kapish?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Great job, sounds like a lot of fun.
My two brothers and I are headed over there this Friday. Allthough we are wimping out and staying in a motel. I didnt know that you could rent and stay right on the ice, maybee next time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think if the bridge traffic is light and with the new additional bypass (407) around Toronto, you might be able to get there in 3 hours. Now I'm talking to the Southern portion of Simcoe, I'm sure it's a bit longer if your fishing further north. It's about 230 mile from my doorstep.

·
Banned
1,819 Posts
That's about right. I can make it from Vasar to cooks in 4 1/2 hrs 5 to 5 1/2 to Pt Bolster. 5 1/2 to Couch. 330 to cooks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a long drive for a day trip, but..., if you go on the right day it can be some of the best perch fishing one might ever do. 3 hours can be WELL worth it. :D

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Nice talking to you on the phone Jeff...looks like you got in to some nice fish...we absolutly pounded them Sunday! There's a post on here somewhere...other lakes and river section I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts