Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning my first steelhead trip up north to the PM, I looking to get on my first steel head. heading up with my 9’6 spinning rod some floats n beads, spawn bags, and got a collection of spinners and crank baits . Will be wading waters, where is a good area I can set my destination to hike and wade the waters? What main line and leaders do u guys usually use on the PM. If I could get some tips to make sure I don’t skunk on my first trip would be appreciated .

· Registered
775 Posts
Skunks can happen to anyone but it sounds like you have the right tackle options. My tips... Stop at a local tackle shop to get some gear and ask for a report or some options. If not, read the dnr fishing guide to avoid special regulations water, download one of the fancy apps like basemap that will show you public land, access points and trails to get there and have fun...

· Registered
891 Posts
planning my first steelhead trip up north to the PM, I looking to get on my first steel head. heading up with my 9’6 spinning rod some floats n beads, spawn bags, and got a collection of spinners and crank baits . Will be wading waters, where is a good area I can set my destination to hike and wade the waters? What main line and leaders do u guys usually use on the PM. If I could get some tips to make sure I don’t skunk on my first trip would be appreciated .
Above Gleason Landing is the flies only section, below there, you’ll be good. For float fishing I use either 10 or 12# mono main line and 8-10# fluorocarbon leader.

· Registered
1,698 Posts
Skunks can happen on the PM. Got skunked this past weekend with not even a bobber down. But you have the right set up it sounds like. Lot of walkable areas on the PM, so just get out and explore. Good luck! Hope you hook into some chrome bullets!

· Registered
4,156 Posts
Water Boat Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Sky

Lots of fish in all west side rivers. This last rain event with warm temperatures is making for a awesome few months of fishing. Four for six today on plugs, all fresh, all airborne, all showing why fall fresh runs are probably the hardest fighting fish in Michigan. Brother and I had a great day

· Registered
4,156 Posts
I really don’t like steelhead for eating and release all but a cookie cutter fresh from the lake in November on the grill, the fat cooking out, oh man, like spring coho

· Registered
715 Posts
Skunks can happen to anyone but it sounds like you have the right tackle options. My tips... Stop at a local tackle shop to get some gear and ask for a report or some options. If not, read the dnr fishing guide to avoid special regulations water, download one of the fancy apps like basemap that will show you public land, access points and trails to get there and have fun...
The folks at Baldwin Bait & Tackle are great - they have daily reports of the river and will tell you what is and is not working.

· Registered
4,156 Posts
Anyone thinking about fishing this warm up, water is very low and crystal clear.

· Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Here's a picture to go with a crazy day on the Pere Marquette back in the day. Steve Fraley and Russ Maddin on the banks of the PM on a frozen day in December when the daytime high temperature never rose above zero degrees Fahrenheit. Coffee poured from a thermos into a cup would freeze before you could drink it...

Quote of the day halfway thru the float was, "We're all gonna die!" Which resulted in this bankside fire to thaw frozen fingers.

Snow Water Recreation Freezing Ice cap

Water Tree Watercourse Bank Natural landscape

Often times after clearing the rod guides from icing up after every other drift, you would realize that the fly at the end of your rig was encased in a solid ice cube and even if there was a fish that hit it, the point of the hook would have no effect.

Water Watercourse Tree Snow Tints and shades

Good times! :LOL:

· Registered
1,873 Posts
Here's a picture to go with a crazy day on the Pere Marquette back in the day. Steve Fraley and Russ Maddin on the banks of the PM on a frozen day in December when the daytime high temperature never rose above zero degrees Fahrenheit. Coffee poured from a thermos into a cup would freeze before you could drink it...

Quote of the day halfway thru the float was, "We're all gonna die!" Which resulted in this bankside fire to thaw frozen fingers.

View attachment 869048

Often times after clearing the rod guides from icing up after every other drift, you would realize that the fly at the end of your rig was encased in a solid ice cube and even if there was a fish that hit it, the point of the hook would have no effect.

Good times! :LOL:
For us river junkies, It don’t get better then that!!
Shared moments with special company!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts